Adding Tart Cherries to Brett Saison Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I made a Brett Saison using the white labs farmhouse yeast blend. I just added some dried tart cherries by just dumping the pack of cherries into the carboy...

I am not concerned completely but there is certainly a new layer of funk floating on top with the fruit that is now rehydrated with the beer.. Should I be concerned??? Or would you agree the funk is just the Brett finding new food in the dried cherries....

dumping them straight in might not have been the best idea but youll be fine. Thats just the rehydrated skins and crap. I read its good to use frozen ones since the cell walls are broken down or something and id imagine its a bit more sanitary. Thats what I did for a blackberry one anyway

oh, I am gonna guess that youll end up with a sour though. There was probably somethign hanging out on those cherries

I contemplated using dehydrated cherries, but I found they normally contain other additives (e.g. Sunflower oil) which could impact the beer's head and possible taste. So, I opted for a bottle of organic tart cherry concentrate from Amazon, and some bags of frozen tart cherries. Next time, I will omit the frozen cherries as a harsh sulfur taste occurred after their addition, which eventually faded after a couple of more months in the fermenter.

Back