Results of a boil-over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
So as I was boiling my first batch on Saturday, I added the bittering hops.. stepped away from the kitchen for a couple minutes and it ended up boiling over.

What is this going to mean for my beer?

Depends on what you did with it following the boil over. If you kept it at a rolling boil you'll be fine. If you let it sit some while cleaning up then you might not get as tasty a beer as you would have without the boil over.

Nothing sucks more than your first boil over. It took me 2 hours to clean up the mess. Who puts rugs in a kitchen anyway?

It mean you lost the security deposit on the apartment, or SWMBO gets a new stove in the near future (a sandblaster can't even get that stuff off).

Well.. I kept it boiling.. I don't think a ton of it boiled over.

But it was a total b*tch cleaning it up.

Well.. I kept it boiling.. I don't think a ton of it boiled over.

But it was a total b*tch cleaning it up.

There are more things that can go wrong after the boil. That is why you must relax and not worry. You won't know how it will turn out until it has conditioned in the bottle and you pour it into the glass. Think about what you can improve on in your technique and contemplate your next recipe. Worrying about this one won't fix or improve it...

I have found that oxyclean and/or vinegar work pretty well..... not at the same time though.

Back