Best cheap commercial beer you've ever had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
To address the balance from the worst commercial beer thread, of course.

Kingston press cider; locally brewed dry cider, 5.3% and £1.09 per 660ml bottle. Cheap but incredibly well balanced sweetness and tartness with a vintage aftertaste, brilliant!

Greene king ipa - 99p a pint for a long time in wetherspoons, delicious easy drinking ale.

Not sure if it counts or not, but before I got into homebrewing (and discovered the wonderful world of micro and craft brew), my go-to beer was always Yuengling lager. :mug:

Sierra Nevada? Does that count? That was my gateway beer. Sams Club/COSTCO have 24 packs for $19-$21 usually. Under a dollar a beer is cheap to me.

red hook long hammer ipa. Same price as bud light 10.99 a 12 pack @ rite aid

Redhook_Long_Hammer_IPA_200.jpg

For light beer Old Milwaukee Lt. is pretty good and another I stumbled on is Coors Extra Gold. It is cheap and pretty good.

SNPA is not that cheap at about $1 a bottle or I'd vote for that. I can't remember how much I paid for it, but I enjoy a Shiner bock from time to time.

Another vote for PBR. On a hot day half PBR half sprite makes a hell of a redneck shandy mmmmmmmmmmmmm...

upperNY01brewer said:
Genesee Cream Ale,Genesee Bock Beer, Genesee Brewing Co. Rochester, NY

Ditto, just about any genny product for me. Usually stick to regular genny & cream ale. Like to stock up on bock when its out in the spring, prices went up to to a whopping 7.99 for a twelve pack this year...bastards.

Pbr & ov are a close second, third.

Leaving out the labatts, michelob amber bock, etc... I wouldn't consider that stuff "cheap"

Lone Star with a pinch of salt.... but its a state jail felony to see it outside texas... or atleast they would have you believe...

Big commercial beer would be the high life baby

Tecate when we are sailing. Best beer in a can we can find. Rumor has it New Belgium is working on on cans though.

can't beat a near frozen Lone Star when the temp is above 100 around here, but as someone said, that for mass consumption.

Shiner Bock is my go to beer otherwise.

Lionshead, 11.99 for a case of bottles! It sucks but tastes a lot better for that price, especially when I was a poor student!

When I was in NorCal I was surprised by how cheap some of the bombers were (compared to what I see in Denver). Anderson Valley, Marin, and Mendocino were all about $3.50. Most of the bombers here are some kind of specialty beer for $8 and up. I really enjoy Negra Modelo. I used to like Rolling Rock, but haven't had one in ages. And a bar near me has Craft Can Night - really good beers for $2/can.

Around me it's often hard to find beer for under 1$/bottle. Oddly enough, many of the beers by Oscar Blus go for about 7/sixer. So given the choice between bud light for 6, or Dale's Pale Ale for 7, I'll definitely go for Dale's

PBR...about the Genny. When I lived in the Adirondacks we used to drink them and they would kill my stomach. I always got the Genny screamers. Not a bad taste they just did something to me.

Good morning!

That's an excellent question. I am not a huge fan of the beer, but for $4 a bomber for Magic Hat #9, it's a very good value. Lagunitas Hop Stoopid is probably the cheapest (and the best) Double IPA I have come across; I think it's about $5 a bottle.

If we want to go really cheap, I would go with a Yuengling - I think their beers are very affordable and while not particularly exciting, they are very solid. A PBR every once in a while is also great.

wheels4 said:
PBR...about the Genny. When I lived in the Adirondacks we used to drink them and they would kill my stomach. I always got the Genny screamers. Not a bad taste they just did something to me.

Yeah cream ale is notorious for... well let's just say, cleaning you out the next day. Doesn't bother me though.

Rolling rock is another good one, I don't remember it being all that cheap when I used to drink it a bunch but I rcently picked up a 30 pack for 17.99.

PBR and, y'know, when you're actually AT the brewery and tasting it when it's as fresh as it's ever going to be, Miller is pretty good. It's actually surprisingly bready and totally different from what you get in a can or at a corner tap.

PBR and, y'know, when you're actually AT the brewery and tasting it when it's as fresh as it's ever going to be, Miller is pretty good. It's actually surprisingly bready and totally different from what you get in a can or at a corner tap.

OT: I had this experience at Carlsberg. That damn lager tasted amazing.

Yeah cream ale is notorious for... well let's just say, cleaning you out the next day. Doesn't bother me though.

Rolling rock is another good one, I don't remember it being all that cheap when I used to drink it a bunch but I rcently picked up a 30 pack for 17.99.

I always went with the 12 horse and paid for it :D.

Back