Pouring ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well here comes the dumb question of the day..... I have bottled a english ipa that I bottled from a secondary 3 weeks ago. The beer is crystal clear in the bottle and carbonation is great. Here's the problem when I pour from bottle to glass it starts clear then ends up cloudy .... I know it's the yeast sediment getting mixed in but I know there's got to be a trick to minimize this. It is not affecting taste at least not in my opinion ( I could be wrong ) but for presentation reasons clear is king. Thanks for answering in advance I'm new and everyone here is always so helpfull.

You just have to pour carefully and leave the last bit in the bottle if you want them to be clear.

How long are you refrigerating the beers?

The longer, the more likely the sediment will be more compact and less likely to pour out with a gentle pour (leaving the last bit behind like Bend says)

Try to pour in a single smooth motion, slowly enough that you don't get any "glug-glug" in the bottle. Leave the last half ounce or so in the bottle, it's mostly just the yeast anyway. Use the shoulder of the bottle to keep that last half ounce back, watching for when the yeast starts threatening to come out.

How long are you refrigerating the beers?

The longer, the more likely the sediment will be more compact and less likely to pour out with a gentle pour (leaving the last bit behind like Bend says)
never thought about that factor I was only leaving in the ref. for about 1 hour maybe I should leave all in the garage ( 35 ) dgrees for 24 hours +

yeah. actually a week wouldnt hurt either (if you felt like waiting that long)

Reading your responses, it looks like you probably have chill haze. It looks clear in the bottle at room temperature, but cloudy when you pour a cold one. The only way to get rid of that is to store it cold, i.e., fridge temperature for a week or two. It has no flavor and no apparent effect on body. In the future, cooling your wort quickly after the boil helps reduce it.

Also, since it's an IPA,if it was dryhopped, that can contribute to haze somewhat.

Back