What kind of extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
As a beginner, I am going to buy the pre-assembled recipes. But I am looking forward to coming up with my own ideas. How do I get started knowing how much of what kind of extract to use? I see where recipes call for 1# of one, 1# of another and 7# of still another. Is there a common base extract, then other flavoring additions? I get hops, I get yeasts....but the main ingredient not so much. Can someone help out a beginner?

Kayos said:
How do I get started knowing how much of what kind of extract to use?

The kind of extract and how much you use depends on the style of beer your making, there isn't really a "common extract." Usually extract recipes contain about 8#s of extract +- a pound or so.

For example, my last recipe used 6.6 lbs LME (1 can is 3.3lbs) 1 pound of rice solids, and 1 pound of specialty steeping grains. Specialized steeping grains like chocolate malt, victory malt, and crystal malt will allow you to add a special flavors to your beer.

The fun about homebrewing is that you can combine any amount of any extract or grain and find out what combination you like the best.

Latest posts

Back