This is why I bought a Barley Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakins

Reaction score
Long story involving UPS damaging a package, but I had a B3 Irish Red Kit. The original I ordered uncrushed, because I have a BC. The replacement I received today was pre-crushed, so I figured I'd go ahead and brew it. Well, I got 64% efficiency. Using braukaiser.com calculator, I only got 80% conversion effeciency. I got my normal 80% lauter efficiency. (Batch sparge) I normally just crush at factory gap on my BC and get 95-97% conversion efficiency and 80% lauter for about 75-78% into kettle. Been doing that consistently since I got my BC and was going to start working on my sparging.

So, I added some DME to the kettle. It's boiling right now. The crush didn't look real bad. I adjusted my water and got 5.5 ph (at room temp). Normal stuff for me. I'm wondering should I have double crushed it, but that could have been a horrible stuck sparge.

Anyway, just venting, I suppose. FWIW, I'm pitching WL530 into this for a kinda Belgian-esque red. Depending on how I feel in a few weeks, I may pitch a little brett into it and age it or I may just bottle it.

Sounds like you made the best of it. There is no shame in adding some extract when you don't hit the expected efficiency, I'd probably do the same in your situation.

I regularly got 68-70% with the B3 crush, I now get 82% every time with my BC crush. I regularly got uncrushed kernels from B3 in my grist. Really the benefit of having a BC is hard to quantify.

To add insult to injury, last night when I went to pitch my 2 quart RWS, I discovered that apparently my yeast was dead (WLP530 from b3). I even checked the gravity, it was exactly the same as it was 24 hours before. I had a pack of Notty handy so I just pitched it. I was so pissed!!

UPS damaged my package so that a bag of extract ruined a few things. B3 was going to send a complete replacement, but then stopped that shipment and just sent me the replacement stuff, which included the IRA kit. But they sent it crushed. I figured, how bad could it be. Now I'm afraid the other yeasts I bought are dead as well - I even paid extra for the ice pouch. If B3 doesn't make this right, then they lost a customer. I'm not too worried about the grain - I had some DME handy - but the yeast bugs me. I was a good boy and used a stater, but it was dead.

FWIW, I just checked and the Notty is bubbling away. Of course, this will not be the beer I wanted it to be.

I guess I could have crushed it again, but I got a horrible stuck recirculation last week (kept having to stir it up). I switched to a false bottom recently. Maybe go back to the braid?

Going to have a few more now. Was supposed to be putting in a sink for SWMBO, but the kit came with incorrect fittings and I'm in no shape to drive to homerdepot, so I may as well ease my mind...

To add insult to injury, last night when I went to pitch my 2 quart RWS, I discovered that apparently my yeast was dead (WLP530 from b3). I even checked the gravity, it was exactly the same as it was 24 hours before. I had a pack of Notty handy so I just pitched it. I was so pissed!!

Nice... nice...

Nice... nice...

Hey, I'm a full convert to no-chill and RWS. I will probably be selling my plate chiller soon.

Part that sucks about RWS - as opposed to "normal starters - is in this case, where I didn't know until the day *after* brew day that my yeast was dead. Had I known it was dead, I may have brewed a different recipe. For all of my "American style ales" I use dry yeast, so it's usually not a big deal. I use liquid for belgians and wheats - no good dry yeast for those. (And I've tried 3 different dry wheat yeasts...)

So, I'm sober now, but still not happy about the whole experience.

B3 said they will send me 3 vial to replace the 3 I bought. Assumption is that if one was dead, they all are.

Back