Stupid n00b question about keg headspace (without CO2)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesy_Goodness

Reaction score
I feel sure this is a silly question, but I want to make sure I'm good before I do it...

I'm in the process of building a keezer (4 kegs and 2 taps). I've only got a 2 way manifold at the moment, so my plan was to force carbonate the two that would be tapped first at serving pressure, and naturally carbonate the others (after purging headspace of course) so they would be ready when the first two kicked. I know, sometimes I amaze even myself at my own brilliance.

So my shiny new CO2 cylinder comes in the mail last week (the last piece of the puzzle) and I take it to the refill station. But, it turns out that they're down due to equipment failure for at least two weeks. This place is the closest to me and as far as I can tell the only that does refills instead of exchanges (it is a new tank after all), which means no CO2 refills for good ol uncle Cheesy.

Not a huge deal, I'll just push everything back a few weeks. Then I start thinking about my fermentors, and realize that they're all full, meaning I can't brew anything for a few weeks, which puts my Christmas beers in serious jeopardy.

So in a nutshell, here's my question: Can I naturally carbonate all of my kegs without first purging the headspace with CO2 and getting a good seal, or should I break out my bottling wand for one more hurrah to free up some carboys?

I guess if you naturally carbed it and purged the kegs as they carbed to get out the o2 (which would end in you having to force carb them anyway) that would work. I just wouldnt do that for an IPA where you are very worried about oxidation

side note: did you try other places that people usually dont think of to fill the tank. Fire equipment and welding supply stores are usually a good bet. As well as places like airgas

I guess I should say I've got a Pilsner, Oktoberfest (Novemberfest?), Saison, a Graff, and a Porter to choose from.

So should I prime it like I was doing it in bottles(~5oz), venting it after a few days?

This place was a fire safety place unfortunately. There is an airgas in the semi-local area but my understanding is they upcharge a lot and can't fill it while you wait.

dont add that much, its about headpsace ratio. Youve got a lot less headspace relatively in a keg so you should use less sugar. Although, since you are venting it out anyway I guess it doesnt matter....

but there are topics where more knowledgeable people have given general amounts for keg priming

I'm more concerned about getting a seal on the keg lid with this method. I did a bit of research and found that people who naturally carbonate in a keg will still purge to get out O2, but also to make sure that the lid is sealing, and the CO2 isn't escaping while the priming sugar is being consumed.

yeah, but pressurizing it is more of a means to make sure its sealed IME. Most of the time, I dont get any air leaking out when if i pressurize it to 2psi after sealing vs 30psi. If youve got good o rings, maybe put some keg lube around the main one, I think youd be good. Plus, once it starts digesting the carb sugar, it would push out any O2 thats in there. Worst case scenario, it would still be exposed to less oxygen than if you bottled

That's going to save me a ton of time, looks like I'll be changing some O-Rings, which I should have done a long time ago anyway, and racking this weekend.

You the man m00ps, thanks!

Welcome to the kegging club!

If you still have paper yellow pages look in the fire protection section and make some calls. I've found the internet NOT always the best to find resources. Some LHBS do filling too. I would stay away from paintball places as they charge by the ounce, not pound! Their CO2 may also not be up to standard either.

Everything else seems to have been answered quite well.
I'd Starsan the keg lids and area around thoroughly and cover with Starsaned plastic wrap to keep dust and bugs away from there while it's pressuring up.

Thanks! I freely admit I have no idea what the hell I'm doing with this whole kegging thing.

I'll walk on down to the antique store and see if they have any of them there "yellow pages" I've heard so much about ;) You're likely right about that though, I might have to dig around the house to see if I can find one. Like I said above though, I do know there are some shops around here that are in the CO2 business, but most seem to be doing exchanges rather than refills.

Just to be clear, when you say "plastic wrap" the lid do you mean under the lid as an extra precaution?

You'll catch on fast. Plenty of topics here to satisfy your kegging curiosity.

Many local businesses don't "float up" in most online searches, if they show up at all. It's all about popularity. I found real local gems in the paper yellow pages.

Sorry, I meant to say to put sanitized wrap on top of the sealed lid, so dust and dirt stays out of the gap that's around the lid.

Try a beverage supply place. Like a coke or Pepsi distributor. They sometime rent tanks for a deposit instead of a trade. Use that tank then return it for a deposit. It costs a few bucks but it will ge you rolling!

I feel sure this is a silly question, but I want to make sure I'm good before I do it...

I'm in the process of building a keezer (4 kegs and 2 taps). I've only got a 2 way manifold at the moment, so my plan was to force carbonate the two that would be tapped first at serving pressure, and naturally carbonate the others (after purging headspace of course) so they would be ready when the first two kicked. I know, sometimes I amaze even myself at my own brilliance.

So my shiny new CO2 cylinder comes in the mail last week (the last piece of the puzzle) and I take it to the refill station. But, it turns out that they're down due to equipment failure for at least two weeks. This place is the closest to me and as far as I can tell the only that does refills instead of exchanges (it is a new tank after all), which means no CO2 refills for good ol uncle Cheesy.

Not a huge deal, I'll just push everything back a few weeks. Then I start thinking about my fermentors, and realize that they're all full, meaning I can't brew anything for a few weeks, which puts my Christmas beers in serious jeopardy.

So in a nutshell, here's my question: Can I naturally carbonate all of my kegs without first purging the headspace with CO2 and getting a good seal, or should I break out my bottling wand for one more hurrah to free up some carboys?

Not sure if this is any use but these guys might fill a CO2 tank. I get mine filled at a similar fire protection place in Dallas. 30 mins drive or so. I'd give them a call.

http://www.columbiafireandsafety.com/products.html

Thanks for the replies.

There are a few places in my area(ish) that offer CO2 services (most are exchanges), but my problem is they work normal hours, meaning I have to go in to work late/leave early to get it filled. My other place was 5 minutes out of the way.

It isn't a big deal to wait around a few weeks knowing I'm safe to rack to kegs now. That just gives my lazy ass more time to get everything else set up :D

Sorry to latch on to your thread, but a somewhat related question. I typically brew 3-4 gallon batches as that's what my BIAB stovetop method handles best. Would I need to use more priming sugar due to increased headspace?

Sorry to latch on to your thread, but a somewhat related question. I typically brew 3-4 gallon batches as that's what my BIAB stovetop method handles best. Would I need to use more priming sugar due to increased headspace?

That's a good question. I'd certainly purge the head space with co2 to reduce any oxygen. Don't leave pressure in the keg. It will eff up your priming sugar calculations. You could carbonate it like it's a full keg (around 1/2 the sugar for bottle conditioning). I think it'll either be close or a little under carbonated and it's easier to increase the carbonation with CO2 than to have to keep purging the keg and possibly overshoot to where you would have been anyway (under carbed).

Otherwise you could just go all out and use more sugar (maybe 5/8 bottle conditioning amount) and see where that gets you.

I'd try the first approach and chalk it up to experience if it comes out a little less.

Back