Weldless ketle valves and immersion chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarksc4

Reaction score
I have a 7.5gal aluminum turkey fryer pot that I plan on adding a weld less valve and screen to, but I'm worried about it getting beat up by my IC. I'm not sure if the IC will sit atop the valve bulkhead. If it does should I worry about leakage?
Anyone use an IC with weldless valve?

Use the "kettle valve" brand valve. It doesn't have a protruding coupler on the inside of the pot it uses a nut and is lower profile.

That's what I was planning on using, but I also want to use the kettle screen. Will an IC crush the screen?

I bent my 3/8" x 50' IC so that it hooks over the edge of the kettle and doesn't hit the bottom.

IC in Kettle.jpg

I had a kettle screen in my keggle and the I.C. always fought with it. I ended up removing the kettle screen and using a hop spider I made. The kettle screen gets clogged up quick and it got on my nerves. Made draining off the kettle into the fermenters far less frustrating.

Be careful about using any SS valves or fittings in your aluminum pot. The acidity of the wort will cause a gradient to get set up between the aluminum and the steel, corroding both metals

The kettle valve is plated brass, so it should be ok with the aluminum.

Back