Stamp out homebrew yeast bite!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fungusamungas

Reaction score
Yeast bite! my achilles heel as it were.
Im talking about that yeasty bite you get after drinking a homebrew bottled conditioned beer. Its so frustrating, I taste a sample from my secondary before bottling,( I brew lagers, in sec 4 weeks) It tastes great, just alittle flat. then when I crack a brew after two wks carb time, Yeasty Bite! Oh to have kegging capabilities, to just force carb and be done with it.
Its most apparent when brewing naked, pilnser type lager beers. aging after carb works well. after carbing beer at two weeks Ive been crop testing a beer a week.
Results, chilling ( helles lager) beer right after carb, hella yeast bite. now at three weeks, yeast bite almost gone, not bad, I predict after 4-5 weeks cold conditioning, with ice water bath and refridgerating, the yeast bite will be gone and the true taste will emerge. Im going to update on this thread in one and two weeks on taste of my helles beer .
I know some beers are supposed to have a bite, but to me its a flaw, It covers up alot of the beers true taste.
Yeah I know, get a keg setup, force carb. avoid weeks of conditioning, yeast bite forever, but you work with what you have!

The NUMBER 1 problem homebrewers experience is drinking their beers too young. BTW, it is also the number 1 complaint.

Your Helles is a lager. That translates to me at least 6 months cold lagering!

At several weeks you, it, has a long way to go. :D

Six months, oh my god!!. I think I can hold out for five weeks. I had a previous lager that tasted pretty good at that time. I'll save a six pack out of the batch and age it for six months to see how it improved.

That's fine, but if you saved a case out of it I can almost bet that you'll be more pleased.

Maybe you should switch to ales.

I brewed an Oktoberfest in March (when they are supposed to be brewed) and I won't touch it until Sep/Oct.

You need a back-up plan...:D

2 weeks in the bottle. Not only are you getting yeast bite, but you are also probably getting young beer off-flavors because it hasn't conditioned and new beer off flavors from the carb. fermentation. My ales need at least 3 to 4 weeks before they taste good. Most don't hit their prime for 6.

Yeah, Ive brewed lagers before and expected yeast bite at two weeks. after about five weeks it gets a lot better. I get alittle impatient sometimes, I had to quit brewing for awhile when I was preparing to move out of state, so I dont have a pipe line of batches conditioning. gets frustrating sometimes looking at all my beer waiting and waiting while I have to keep buying commercial.
Some times I think this is why home brewing is not a more popular hobby. I still love it!

Im only drinking a 12 oz bottle a week, for testing purposes, until yeast bite is gone. Started this thread out of boredom, and not intended to be taken seriously.

Yeah, to boot some yeast seem to really lay it on thick too. Time heals most wounds. :D I remember the first batch of APA I ever did (first beer too). I was like "oh man, yeast city!". I found that beer in particular is best about 6 weeks to 12 weeks from brew date.

You should make some Hefe's :fro:

I did a Munich lager early Jan. Did the primary,secondary,cold ferment,raised temp. etc...then bottled-took about 6-7 weeks.Beer has been cold conditioning in the back of my kegerator-figured I'd partake the other night-WOW ! What a beer,what the cold (and bottles) have done for this batch . Let'r set for a while-You won't be disapointed. Shane
p.s. I don't have a cold fermentation chest-I can't wait for winter(I know-BOO/HISS) I use the back of my basement as my fermenter etc....

Back