Haier keg dispenser or Danby? you decide for me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which dispenser?

• danby DKC645BLS

• Haier HBF05EBSS

Results are only viewable after voting.

blackls1ttop

Reaction score
ok forget the cheap walmart POS, i narrowed it down between the Danby DKC645BLS
or the Haier HBF05EBSS which one would be the better home brewers keg dispenser. i know building my own will be the best option but i dont have the time for that now since i need this for a build in bbq. the one with the most votes will be my new keg dispenser. please give your opinons if you have either one and how you like it. :D
thanks alot guys. EDIT* i found this one from home depot Midea MCKC490S

I've got the Haier and I like it. I have no opinion of the Danby as I've never seen one in person.

I did modify it though, by adding another shank and tap to make it a two-holer, and added a fan inside to help with defrosting. I also installed a Love TS2 temperature controller to make it more precise. The OEM thermostat is touchy and unpredictable (At least my copy was)

It's a good kegerator, and holds 3 ball lock cornys and a 5# co2 tank with a double body regulator.

I've got the Haier and I like it. I have no opinion of the Danby as I've never seen one in person.

I did modify it though, by adding another shank and tap to make it a two-holer, and added a fan inside to help with defrosting. I also installed a Love TS2 temperature controller to make it more precise. The OEM thermostat is touchy and unpredictable (At least my copy was)

It's a good kegerator, and holds 3 ball lock cornys and a 5# co2 tank with a double body regulator.

+1 But I made mine a 3 faucet. I've had it for about 5 years and no problems. The thermostat is a little touchy.

has anybody tried the home depot keg dispenser? MCKC490S that seems like a good deal. i wanted the Danby from Walmart since the Haier might be a little pricey on shipping, Walmart is currently out of stock on the Danby which sucks. any other store that would have these dispensers?
EDIT: sams club has the Haier which is not a bad price, but if the Danby is better i will go and try to look for the Danby or else the Haier or the home depot one it is.

They are all Korean built dorm fridges with cheap dispensing equipment added. You're better off building your own and will be happier in the end. I wouldn't vote for either.

Check out the "show us your kegerator" sticky at the top of the this kegging forum, a million good ideas in there. Pick one you like and build it. I got my 2 tap keg kit from KegConnection.com because they came highly recommended from other members on this site. I bought a 22cuft top freezer fridge used from an appliance dealer. I have a total of $350 in the entire setup and I can expand my system to 4 taps in the future.

This is the kit I bought and I paid the $30 to upgrade to Perlick faucets:
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=336

I didn't vote because I'm not familiar with the Danby. I HATED my Haier. It had a chill plate instead of in-wall cooling lines. On the plus side, that made it easy to drill through, since I could see the coolant path. However, it never sealed right, and it frosted up like crazy. No amount of attention, dessicant, recirculating airflow, or ANYTHING would keep it from creating a giant ice block on the cooling plate over the course of several weeks. Additionally, the stock thermostat was junk - it was fine for "cellar temp," but it wouldn't adjust to anything lower than 45-50 degrees F. I replaced it with an external temperature controller. I finally threw the whole lot of it into a landfill and never looked back (in favor of a keezer).

If you want to address the shortcomings of the Danby, it isn't bad. But you will want to add a tower cooler most likely.

The main problem with the Danby is the cheap electronics. If you have the skills, an external temperature controller is the way to go. Others seem to have some luck going cheap and paralleling the temp sensor with a resistor. This is OK I guess until the board fails (which is often). I've had a Danby about 4 or 5 years and no problems after I added a good temperature control.

ok guys i bought the Haier, it was the better deal that i found and its from sams club so any problems i am just going to return it. thanks again guys. im pretty sure this will be more then enough for me.

Back