question on boulevard wheat clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
This is called Breadbasket unfiltered wheat, and comes from page 23 in zymurgy's may/june edition.

I've never made a wheat beer like this, after mashing at different temps it says to mashout at 169. Having never done this do I just raise the temp of the mash to 169, then take the grains out (using a sparging bag) with no sparging? Never made a beer like this....

Can't say for this recipe in particular, but if I read those directions, I would think this is a part of the sparging instructions. So, I would 'mashout' by adding water at a temperature high enough to raise to the grain bed to 169 and begin sparging.

Can't say for this recipe in particular, but if I read those directions, I would think this is a part of the sparging instructions. So, I would 'mashout' by adding water at a temperature high enough to raise to the grain bed to 169 and begin sparging.

This. A mash out is really geared more towards fly sparging than batch sparging, since with fly you'll be starting out at the desired sparge temp. With batch sparging just drain the mash and add your sparge water at however hot enough you need to hit 168-170*F. So if you batch sparge, you can usually ignore any instructions for a mash out. Plenty of people do with fine results.

And what do you mean by take the grains out with a sparge bag? Are you using a MLT or doing BIAB?

This. A mash out is really geared more towards fly sparging than batch sparging, since with fly you'll be starting out at the desired sparge temp. With batch sparging just drain the mash and add your sparge water at however hot enough you need to hit 168-170*F. So if you batch sparge, you can usually ignore any instructions for a mash out. Plenty of people do with fine results.

And what do you mean by take the grains out with a sparge bag? Are you using a MLT or doing BIAB?

I'm doing an mlt, and have no idea how to make this recipe using my cooler.

Ok, question. Should I use my mlt and add water at the mentioned times to achieve the mentioned temp, or put all the grains in a grain bag, put it in my Newport on the stove, and raise the temps as mentioned?

Well I don't have the magazine, so I can't really say much in the way of advice. If you want to post up the recipe or just PM it to me I'll help you to the best of my ability.

6be48bb9.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry it's lopsided, im on my iphone

Okay, that's just a lot of step mashing. I've done a 2 step mash, never a 5 step though lol. I don't know how low of a water/grain ratio you'd be able to start at, but if your MLT is big enough to add boiling water to raise to each step temp, then I'd say start as close to 1.25 qt/lb for the initial step as you can. If your MLT isn't big enough I'd start looking to possibly doing decoctions, or just looking at which steps are the most important and sticking to only 3 or so instead of all 5.

Okay, that's just a lot of step mashing. I've done a 2 step mash, never a 5 step though lol. I don't know how low of a water/grain ratio you'd be able to start at, but if your MLT is big enough to add boiling water to raise to each step temp, then I'd say start as close to 1.25 qt/lb for the initial step as you can. If your MLT isn't big enough I'd start looking to possibly doing decoctions, or just looking at which steps are the most important and sticking to only 3 or so instead of all 5.

I don't remember how many quarts my mlt is, but I know I bought one big enough to be able to do 10 gallons of arrogant bastard and stil have a little room. After its said and done should I also sparge? This recipe is vague, shame on zymurgy.

Back