Wyeast 3333

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwomp313

Reaction score
Couldn't find the answer to this question. Has anyone had any experience with Wyeast 3333? I made a batch of hefeweizen with it and I just kegged it. Simple recipe for 5 gallons:
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 62.50 %
3.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 37.50 %
1.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1 Pkgs German Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3333) Yeast-Wheat
Primaried for one month. I pitched the yeast at 60. I used a quasi starter that I made about 12 hours prior to pitching. It really didn't seem to kick off or form a krausen for 3 days. When it finally kicked off I think the hottest the temp read on the outside of the carboy was 70 degrees.

Well anyway, the problem is that it tastes sour/tart to me. It's a little overpowering and I don't really taste any of the hefeweizen flavors. Has anyone had this experience with this yeast? It's a month old, will this mellow?

I have made a few brews with that strain. I'm leaning towards it being a green beer yet. Give it more time.

I really hope so, I was always under the impression the hefe's were supposed to be drank young.

I am having the same problem too, mine is 14 days in primary and while the gravity is around 1.011 it tastes like a sulfury lager. did yours condition out in the end?

no I think it was infected. very sour. didn't taste how you describe. hope you have better luck than I did!

Back