Czech pilsner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GySgtLynn

Reaction score
My father in law requested a czech pilsner, so on my 3rd batch I obliged. I went out and bought a second fridge along with a thermostat regulator. It has been in the bottles for almost 3 weeks now. I tried one today, which I think tastes good ,however, it is robust with a dry or maybe pale taste to it. I have never had a czech pilsner before so I am not sure how it is suppose to tatse. How is a czech plisner suppose to taste. Off subject I am new to this and already have brewed about 30 gallons, what an addiciting and rewarding hobby.

You just learned something very important...you should sample the style of beer you want to brew PRIOR to brewing it. How are you going to know what the real thing tastes like from a HB? You can't. ;)

Your brew is probably fine if it's light, clear, crisp and hoppy...did you use Saaz hops? By "robust" do you mean body/good mouthfeel/meaty?

Orignal Czech Pilsners are dry and hoppy...especially Urquell which is too hoppy for my tastes.

I lived in Germany for 9 years and I prefer the original Budweiser from Ceske Budejovice, the town of "Budweis"(in German). Maltier and not as harsh.

It's sad how AB took a great tasting Czech beer, used it's German name, changed the recipe (A LOT) and made it American...:mad:

If you ever had the original in CB you'd never drink another AB product again.

I can tell you that I haven't had an AB, Coors (except Blue Moon, I know it's Molson now...), or Miller product since 1975...:rockin:

Yes it was czech saaz hops. I will post the receipe that I used.

7lbs dme
1lb carapils
.5 lb vienna
1.3 oz czech saaz hops 60 mins
.7oz 5mins aroma
wlp802 czech budejovice lager yeast

I pitched the yeast at 70 degrees and held for 2 days.
Next I put in the fridge at 52 degrees for 12 days, then I racked to a secondary and let it sit at room temp for 2 days. Then it went back into the fridge for 1 week at 35 degrees. Finally I bottled and it is about 2 days short of 3 weeks in bottles.

7lbs dme
1lb carapils
.5 lb vienna
1.3 oz czech saaz hops 60 mins
.7oz 5mins aroma
wlp802 czech budejovice lager yeast

2 oz. of Saaz is not enough for a Bohemian Pilsner, IMO you need about 3-6 oz. of Saaz spread out throughout.
For example:
2 oz. 60 min
1 oz. 20 min.
1 oz. 5 min.

2 oz. of Saaz is not enough for a Bohemian Pilsner, IMO you need about 3-6 oz. of Saaz spread out throughout.
For example:
2 oz. 60 min
1 oz. 20 min.
1 oz. 5 min.

I know they're no known for high AAU%, but the amount of hops used depends on it...

The Pilsner Urquell clone calls for 8.75 AAU Cluster (using 6.5%) and 3.75 Saaz (using 4%) hops, with .75 oz for aroma.

Back