Hibiscus IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolves63

Reaction score
I am looking at serving Hibiscus IPA for next year Valentine's Day (since I waited too long now), but I want to brew and perfect it between now and then. Below are my thoughts, and I willing to take any advise you guys suggest when it comes to changes.

5.5 gallon Batch
OG: 1.052
IBU: 25
Estimated Efficiency - 75%
Mash at 150 for 75 minutes

Grist:
9 lbs - 2 Row
8 oz - White Wheat
8 oz - Crystal 10 L
4 oz - Crystal 20 L

Hop Bill:
60 Min Boil - Magnum (12.2%) - 0.25 oz
15 Min Boil - Mt. Hood - 1 oz
5 Min Boil - Mt. Hood - 1 oz

Yeast:
Wyeast 3711

Misc:
15 Min Boil - 3 oz Hibiscus
15 Min Boil - Whirfloc
15 Min Boil - Yeast Nutrient
Primary - Clarity Ferm (Gluten Reduction)

The idea behind the Ht. Hood is to provide a spicy/floral backdrop for the tart hibiscus. I am just not sure if I am using too much Hibiscus. I want it to be noticeable or help make the beer bright in flavor, as well as provide a nice pink color.

I have updated this recipe to accommodate your suggestions as well as changed the tone from an IPA to a Saison.

Last edited:
I think a saison would be the best style to use as a showcase for hibiscus. If you pick the yeast and hops right, you cna get some bright tartness and some spicy floral to accentuate all the qualities of the hibiscus

I'd limit the crystal to an absolute minimum if you want aant to mess up the color from the hibiscus

I think a saison would be the best style to use as a showcase for hibiscus. If you pick the yeast and hops right, you can get some bright tartness and some spicy floral to accentuate all the qualities of the hibiscus

I'd limit the crystal to an absolute minimum if you don't want to mess up the color from the hibiscus

I wanted to keep it low, and that is why I used 10 L and a little of 20 L, but I want the sweetness to control the tartness of the hibiscus. Maybe I am being overly cautious. I like the idea of a saison instead, and the spiciness would easily be acquired from that yeast. Is there any good saison yeast that will not give me the banana flavors. Maybe WLP565? If so does anyone have any experience with this yeast as well as what temperatures I should ferment at?

short answer: id go with 3711
long answer: you could use a combination to create the perfect yeast profile to accentuate the hibiscus to you liking

Would I follow recommendations to start at 65, then let it free rise, and them jump to 95 degrees? I think that is too high, even for a saison, maybe low 80s? Or, yet again, am I being to cautious?

id just let it free rise while insulated with a blanket or something. Heating it will usually get it a bit drier, btu 3711 will get stuff nice and dry regardless. IME, with that strain the hotter you get it, the more bright and tart flavors you get.

Where are you getting the hibiscus? I got the idea to try this a few years ago but couldn't find anyplace that carried dried hibiscus flowers. Interested to see what you come up with.

id just let it free rise while insulated with a blanket or something. Heating it will usually get it a bit drier, btu 3711 will get stuff nice and dry regardless. IME, with that strain the hotter you get it, the more bright and tart flavors you get.

I have a large fermentation chamber that allows me to specifically control temperature which is awesome. I am thinking start at 68, then rise it 2 degrees a day until I get it to 80 and let it sit there.

Where are you getting the hibiscus? I got the idea to try this a few years ago but couldn't find anyplace that carried dried hibiscus flowers. Interested to see what you come up with.

If there isn't any locally through the health food store then most likely I will use Amazon or Austin Homebrew. Both have it.

updated recipe based on suggestions and I really like the idea of the saison instead of IPA and how that will really showcase the recipe. Is 3 oz of hibiscus appropriate or too much/little?

I wanted to keep it low, and that is why I used 10 L and a little of 20 L, but I want the sweetness to control the tartness of the hibiscus. Maybe I am being overly cautious. I like the idea of a saison instead, and the spiciness would easily be acquired from that yeast. Is there any good saison yeast that will not give me the banana flavors. Maybe WLP565? If so does anyone have any experience with this yeast as well as what temperatures I should ferment at?

You can use honey malt or another sweet malt for that, you dont have to use crystal, unless you specifically want the caramel flavors (I would not).

updated recipe based on suggestions and I really like the idea of the saison instead of IPA and how that will really showcase the recipe. Is 3 oz of hibiscus appropriate or too much/little?

I've used dried Hibiscus flowers in a mead, and in an old ale recipe... both came out really tasty!

In my first try at the old ale, I used 4 oz/5 gal.batch and it gave a light reddish hue to the beer, and a subtle tartness & aroma. It was a very nice beer, but most folks wanted more Hibiscus character in a 'Hibiscus beer'... So this time, I doubled the Hibiscus to 8 oz/5 gal. batch. For the strong heavy old ale, the extra Hibiscus really fits well, and now it is a solid tartness and wonderful aroma.

For a lighter beer the 3-4 oz range should be a great starting point. However, if you have a lot of other competing flavors (e.g. hops in an IPA, yeast in a saison), you should consider how they will pair together, and which (if any) should be dominate.

Also, I am not a fan of boiling ingredients with delicate aromatics like flowers or honey. So, I did a steeping experiment with Hibiscus flowers & water at different temps. The warmer temps did a better job of extracting color, but the middle range 180-F to 150-F gave better flavor and better aroma. If you can add them after flame out, during cool down or whirlpool, you will retain more of the Hibiscus character... IMHO.

Check out www.starwestbotanicals.com for great dried Hibiscus flowers (and other herbs). Really the best quality for items like this that I have found. Sourced from all over the world, dried & sealed in foil bags... just a really good source.

Good luck!
--LexusChris

I work at Jolly Pumpkin's restaurant Inn ann arbor and they have a hibiscus Saison that people tend to enjoy, though it's not my style of beer. Also hibiscus flowers are sold at any mexican grocery store I have ever seen, and probably a better price than you can get most anywhere else.

I work at Jolly Pumpkin's restaurant Inn ann arbor and they have a hibiscus Saison that people tend to enjoy, though it's not my style of beer. Also hibiscus flowers are sold at any mexican grocery store I have ever seen, and probably a better price than you can get most anywhere else.

Well...any idea on the lb/bbl?

For what it is worth, I can consistently find dried hibiscus in a lot of asian/ethnic grocery stores. If anyone is hard up for some, I could probably buy it and ship it.

No idea of how much hibiscus. I work at the restaurant not the brewery. I haven't seen Ron in years. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I think they also put rose hips in the Saison in addition to the hibiscus. I use hibiscus to make agua de jamaica.

Back