What should I expect from old yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cockybitz

Reaction score
Assuming that the yeast are able to rouse, what would be the drawbacks to using yeast that have been stored for a long time? What sort of attributes may that contribute to the beer? I just brewed a batch with some old yeast. The result is rather pungent. It tastes of band-aid, if I must say. The pungency has faded. It was the first sip that would strike a scowl, but after only a few days the first taste does not cause this, but rather the aftertaste of a 2nd sip does. I brewed a batch when the yeast was more freshly harvested that also had these attributes. I was really inquisitive as to whether the discrepancy would be a result of yeast that was aged or if there would more likely be some sort of infection that I should investigate. TIA.

I think about yeast health in two categories: quantity and quality. You need a sufficient quantity or number of yeast cells. You also need healthy, vigorous yeast cells. Over time, yeast lose both

When you use yeast that lacks sufficient numbers of living cells and/or are unhealthy, the remaining yeast gets to work but is stressed, producing greater numbers of compounds that we perceive as off flavors. The off-flavors can run the gamut - esters, phenols, hot alcohol, etc.

I can't say if your off flavors have to do with the yeast's age, fermentation temps, or some other part of your process.

Good luck!

Assuming that the yeast are able to rouse, what would be the drawbacks to using yeast that have been stored for a long time? What sort of attributes may that contribute to the beer? I just brewed a batch with some old yeast. The result is rather pungent. It tastes of band-aid, if I must say. The pungency has faded. It was the first sip that would strike a scowl, but after only a few days the first taste does not cause this, but rather the aftertaste of a 2nd sip does. I brewed a batch when the yeast was more freshly harvested that also had these attributes. I was really inquisitive as to whether the discrepancy would be a result of yeast that was aged or if there would more likely be some sort of infection that I should investigate. TIA.

Did you make a starter, or just pitch old yeast?

In talking to a professional brewer about how many generations of yeast they get, what I learned is that the yeast will still make beer, its just that you'll start to notice changes in the finished product. It is possible that some changes might be desirable. However, most of the time, the result is worse.

I imagine old yeast will be similar. If you re-grow it and its alive, it will work. However there is a chance that its result will differ from a fresh batch. It might not be enough of a difference to notice. The only way to know is to try.

I made a starter of 2 qts. The starter took off quickly, and fermentation was done in the neighborhood of 66*. The yeast was strain 1056.

Back