Help! Shook my white labs yeast now it's bubbling?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So I haven't used white labs before except for starters. Since I didn't plan on a starter and fell behind schedule I figured i'd pitch 2 vials to be safe. I figured it was just liquid yeast without nutrients and thought I'd put it out for about 5 hr. At room temp then pitch. It's been sitting about an hour and I shook it up. Now it looks like it active and bubbling. Should I worry? I'm just don't want it to explode from possible pressure. I know wyeast has nutrients and is able to expand so no worries with that. When I read the directions it say to let the vial sit and then before pitching to shake.

Sorry false alarm, needed to RDWHAHB It was just bubbles surfacing from suspension, just looked like co2 :)

My last brew when I was preparing my starter, I opened by white labs vial (was at room temp for 3 hours, and I shook it before opening), and it started foaming like you would expect a carbonated bottle to do... I didn't lose much because I quickly opened/closed the top several times over the course of minutes. That's the first time I've seen that happen for me, I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

The beer ended up fermenting just fine. I haven't tasted it yet, still got a week or so left before bottling. So hopefully it's not a big deal and just something that happens.

Some White labs yeast will bubble up when shaken. Not a big deal at all...In fact I think I read something about it on their websites FAQ. Just make sure to slowly release the pressure like jigidyjim said.

its alive...

Yeps website FAQ says to be careful when opening.

Truth, just pitched a vial and it upon opening it exploded on me and my floor. Dammit. Hopefully enough was added to wort, though I am not worried just covered in fungus.

Truth, just pitched a vial and it upon opening it exploded on me and my floor. Dammit. Hopefully enough was added to wort, though I am not worried just covered in fungus.

Pretty much same thing happened to me today. Went to pitch my vial of Dry English into my mild and shot yeast all over my arm.

Pretty much same thing happened to me today. Went to pitch my vial of Dry English into my mild and shot yeast all over my arm.

Yeah I went to pitch my German Ale/Kolsch vial and now my shirt is sitting on top of the hamper and the floor has been mopped. I thought I was being careful, too :drunk: Oh well.

Latest posts

Back