Look over my Dubbel Recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hello I have the ingrediants already on order from brewmasterswarehouse.com for this one. I got the recipe out of a homebrew book I bought at the bookstore and wanted you guys to take a look at it. Beersmith is telling me that the beer is out of style on the color and the IBU's even though I followed the recipe exactly, the IBU numbers I got on beersmith also matched what the book said I would get. I did convert the recipe down to 2.75 gallons since thats all i brew. So does this one look good enough to brew as it is or should we make some changes to the recipe. This is my first Dubbel and want it to be good and fairly close to what one really is supposed to taste like. Ingrediants are already ordered so any changes I make must not include more ingrediants since I'm all online order, no brew shop within 2 hours. Well heres the recipe:

Type: All Grain
Date: 11/26/2009
Batch Size: 2.75 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 3.77 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: BRADY 5G Boil Pot 2.75G Batch Size
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.43 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 7.08 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.55 %
0.06 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 0.85 %
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (55 min) Hops 31.5 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 20.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 7.08 %
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

Est Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.41 %
Bitterness: 31.5 IBU
Est Color: 21.9 SRM

90 min Mash In Add 8.20 qt of water at 164.3 F 151.0 F

Well what do yall think?

id say this looks pretty solid. Get a healthy starter going with the yeast and this should turn out to be a great beer.

what I love about belgium brews is the rules are pretty silly. They are pretty good at bending them quite a bit.

but if you want to get picky... You're on the high side of the OG. Might be a little above for the style.

Your hop selection is good but needs more. Tripples dowplay the hops way more then dubbels and you're more inline with those
I'd add another oz. to the boil and even finish with a little as well.

yea, starter... what he said...

Back