Different Efficiency with Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron von BeeGee

Beer Bully
Reaction score
Since I started crushing my own grains and went to my new coolertun I've been getting between 78-83% efficiency with barley-based recipes (I'm not sure which was the important factor). They might include 5-7% wheat.

However, with wheat-based recipes (50-60% wheat) I can't get beyond the low 70's on the same system? Does anybody else observe this phenomenon? I have had slow runoffs with wheat, but never a stuck my new tun. I test for conversion to make sure it is complete. Is wheat just inherently more difficult to lauter resulting in my lower efficiency, or should barley and wheat-based grists result in similar efficiencies?

I can live with 70% for wheat beers, but if I've got a problem with my process I'd like to correct it.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Since I started crushing my own grains and went to my new coolertun I've been getting between 78-83% efficiency with barley-based recipes (I'm not sure which was the important factor). They might include 5-7% wheat.

However, with wheat-based recipes (50-60% wheat) I can't get beyond the low 70's on the same system? Does anybody else observe this phenomenon? I have had slow runoffs with wheat, but never a stuck my new tun. I test for conversion to make sure it is complete. Is wheat just inherently more difficult to lauter resulting in my lower efficiency, or should barley and wheat-based grists result in similar efficiencies?

I can live with 70% for wheat beers, but if I've got a problem with my process I'd like to correct it.

I've read that you need to crush the wheat to almost a powder to get decent efficiency from it. It was in a BYO article from the head brewer at Boulevard, IIRC.

I experience simlar loss of efficiency and just add more grain to compensate. Always assumed that it's just the nature of the beast.

I brewed a wheat beer for the first time this weekend and also experienced a reduction in efficiency. Down to about 60% or so from 80 with barley brews.

/Phil.

Dude said:
I've read that you need to crush the wheat to almost a powder to get decent efficiency from it. It was in a BYO article from the head brewer at Boulevard, IIRC.
Yeah, I did that last time and got a huge wheat patty in my tun which didn't stick my lauter, but did slow it down considerably. I still got ~70%. I definitely crush my wheat finer than my barley. Probably should have used a full lb of rice hulls. I'm pretty sure I have that BYO...I'll go back and reference it.

Anyways, looks like I'm not the only one experiencing this. I usually just set my wheat recipes for 70% efficiency and let Promash scale them, which isn't a big deal.

One other thing while we're on the subject...does anybody pre-wet their wheat or steam it before grinding it? I've heard or read that this leaves some portion of the wheat intact which will help with lautering. I'm thinking I could use my espresso machine to steam batches of wheat prior to grinding if it's effective.

Baron von BeeGee said:
One other thing while we're on the subject...does anybody pre-wet their wheat or steam it before grinding it? I've heard or read that this leaves some portion of the wheat intact which will help with lautering. I'm thinking I could use my espresso machine to steam batches of wheat prior to grinding if it's effective.

I'd love to. But my LHBS would not appreciate the mess ;).

Kai

Back