WLP007 Cottage Cheese Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarMoeCur

Reaction score
I haven't used WLP007 Dry English Ale in a long time. I don't remember it looking like cottage cheese. My starter looks nasty but it's fermenting so nothing to worry about I hope. :eek:

wop007.jpg

Right click the image, choose "Copy image location" and post it here. Or right click the image, choose properties, then copy the second image address!

If you ferment in a glass carboy, you're in for a show. It looks worse during fermentation! LOL I think it's got to be the weirdest fermenting yeast I've seen. But drops like a rock in a few days.

Ya, that's completely normal for that yeast. I love it for that reason, it drops out like peanut butter. And on top of that, it's attenuates well!

Has anyone had any problems with a stuck fermentation using WLP007?

I brewed a Winter Warmer ale that had a high OG of 1.072. After two weeks in the primary it was only down to 1.044 I pitch two vials (without using a starter) because of the high OG. the FG was supposed to be 1.018.

Last night to try and get this thing to finish I used one more vial and made a starter (first time, I hope I did it right). About 2 hours after I pitched the yeast I still didn't see any signs of fermentation. The Wort has been at a temperature of about 70 the whole time.

Any ideas to correct this would be appreciated, plus I don't ever want this to happen again.

My starters always remind me of cottage cheese using 007. I like it!

Last night to try and get this thing to finish I used one more vial and made a starter (first time, I hope I did it right). About 2 hours after I pitched the yeast I still didn't see any signs of fermentation. The Wort has been at a temperature of about 70 the whole time.

Any ideas to correct this would be appreciated, plus I don't ever want this to happen again.

I'd question the fermentability of your wort. Was it an all-grain or extract batch.

Has anyone had any problems with a stuck fermentation using WLP007?

I brewed a Winter Warmer ale that had a high OG of 1.072. After two weeks in the primary it was only down to 1.044 I pitch two vials (without using a starter) because of the high OG. the FG was supposed to be 1.018.

have you tried rousing the yeast? it can floc out early - usually at lower temps which isn't an issue for you but still may be worth gently rousing

terrapinj said:
have you tried rousing the yeast? it can floc out early - usually at lower temps which isn't an issue for you but still may be worth gently rousing

I shook the carboy up before I pitched the last of the yeast last night. When I checked it this morning I didn't see any visible signs if fermenting but I will take a gravity reading when I get home. Any idea why it would stop early?

Back