Fresh cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bestes

Reaction score
I just picked up 6 gallons of fresh cider, UV Pasteurized an that's it. I want to create a semi carbonated, and slightly sweet cider. I don't plan on touching it after racking into the secondary till next summer. I am using safale us 05. Can anyone five advice as to the additives used pre yeastyeast

Check out emu cider in recipes. I started one and i know it's going to be a good one. I have done about 6 different ciders so I have things to compare it to. Check it out

Thanx, i havnt done one yet with fresh stuff. I made 3 batches of vomit smelling stuff out of store juice. Ill try one of emu's

You need to go with orchard cider it's a huge difference.

Yea, thats what i was talking about. I just bought the 6 gallons of fresh orchard cider. Ive heard about campden tablets to kill off the wild yeast, then pectin enzyme to remove haze, and tannin to add bitterness, as well as an acid blend, yeast nutrient. All before even pitching the yeast. This is what i have read so ar. Im just a little diluted with info and don't want to screw up my cider

Use some pectic enzyme to reduce haze and use some yeast nutrient with urea- your yeasties need some nitrogen. As for the yeast- US-05 will work fine, but I don't know about bulk storing until next summer. Why? Your cider is only going to be in the 6% abv range, so there's no need and really it'll most likely just spoil by then. Just ferment, rack to secondary if you so desire (or leave it on the yeast in primary for two or three more weeks to clean up), then bottle it. If you only want it lightly carbonated, just use about 3 oz of corn sugar per 5 gallons. Let it sit for a week or two, then throw in the fridge. Done.

Forget the tannin. Acid blend wouldn't hurt, but not really necessary. Definitely use yeast nutrient though.

bestes said:
Yea, thats what i was talking about. I just bought the 6 gallons of fresh orchard cider. Ive heard about campden tablets to kill off the wild yeast, then pectin enzyme to remove haze, and tannin to add bitterness, as well as an acid blend, yeast nutrient. All before even pitching the yeast. This is what i have read so ar. Im just a little diluted with info and don't want to screw up my cider

This recepie is from a good friend of mine, and it's my first recepie of the Cider Season (starting it tonight). Hope it provides some info and inspiration!

Here is the cider recipe for the Cinnamon flavoured Club brew:

Had it on the FOCCT.com website under recipes.

OG: 1.060

FG: 1.000

ABV: 8%

Cider: Fresh Apple Cider

Additions: Brown Sugar Syrup, Maple Syrup, Toasted Oak, Cinnamon Extract, Gypsum

Yeast: Fermentis Saflager S-23

Amount Ingredient When

6 gal Fresh Apple Cider Brewday

4.0 pH Gypsum

4 cups Brown Sugar Syrup

1 cup Maple Syrup

2 packs Saflager S-23 Ale Yeast

To taste Toasted Hungarian Oak 1/2oz 2 Weeks (post fermentation)

4 oz Cinnamon Extract 5 Weeks

Process:

Starting with 6 gallons of cider, adjust the pH to 4.0 using gypsum. Heated 2 lbs of dark brown sugar and 1 qt of water to make a brown sugar syrup, and added 4 cups of that to the cider. Added 1 cup of fresh maple syrup. Pitched two Saflager S-23 packages of yeast and fermented at 55F.

Racked into a carboy after two weeks of primary fermentation. Added 1/2 oz. of medium toasted hungarian oak chips. Conditioned at 50F.

The cinnamon extract can be prepared ahead of time and can sit depending on how strong you want the flavor to be. The extract was made by soaking 6 cinnamon stick in 2 cups of vodka for 4 weeks. This step would be a good time to make it.

After a week of secondary rack the cider into a clean carboy for clarification. You can choose to transfer the oak chips or leave them behind but we chose to transfer them. Add sparkolloid powder for clarification at this step.

After 3 weeks add 4 oz. cinnamon extract while it conditions. It is important to give the cider time with the extract so it can blend in and meld with the other flavors.

Bottled after 6 weeks.

I don't know about bulk storing until next summer. Why? Your cider is only going to be in the 6% abv range, so there's no need and really it'll most likely just spoil by then.

wtffff???? this is ridiculous! bulk store it, it can only get better. if you treat it well, in other words keep it clean and don't let it contact a lot of oxygen after it is done fermenting, it will Not spoil.

you can add some yeast nutrient, or you can get away without. pectic enzyme, why not, can't hurt, but again you can go without. get your yeast in there and you'll be grand (i am liking s05 more and more lately for cider!). making a decent cider is really not rocket science! the tricky bits are the apple blend, or trying to replicate a blend with acid and tannin, and how you finish the cider, imo. bulk aging is a no brainer if you have the capacity

I have read the pasturizing thread top to bottom. In fact i use that method every time make cider. Ive mad 3 batches of store bought juice cider, this is just my dirst attempt at the real " orchard fresh" variety

wtffff???? this is ridiculous! bulk store it, it can only get better. if you treat it well, in other words keep it clean and don't let it contact a lot of oxygen after it is done fermenting, it will Not spoil.

you can add some yeast nutrient, or you can get away without. pectic enzyme, why not, can't hurt, but again you can go without. get your yeast in there and you'll be grand (i am liking s05 more and more lately for cider!). making a decent cider is really not rocket science! the tricky bits are the apple blend, or trying to replicate a blend with acid and tannin, and how you finish the cider, imo. bulk aging is a no brainer if you have the capacity

Bulk aging makes sense for high alcohol. Something 6%? Yeah... that doesn't have great storing capacity, especially at room temp. In refrigerated bottles, fine. I'm sure you know that low alcohol beer without dark grain doesn't keep well... No brainer here. Just like a mild or pale ale is better fresh, a draught style cider is the same- it won't be better after a long lagering period. I don't know anyone that would bulk age a 6% brown ale, for example; it'll turn to crap.
Yeah, if you used champagne yeast- totally different story as far as aging. And yeast nutrient will definitely help give it the nutrients and nitrogen it needs.

See what i mean, so much confliction, an different opinions, its damn near impossible to make a decision based on others previous experience

The interesting thing about cider is that you can make arguments both ways, and they are both correct IMO. Treating a cider like a beer ccan yield you a great carbonated version, while treating it like wine can allow for some great combinations and flavor development. I've tasted both and like them in different ways.

I guess then all i really need to know of i should worry about the wild yeast. Or will the is 05 just take over when i pitch it

I guess then all i really need to know of i should worry about the wild yeast. Or will the is 05 just take over when i pitch it

you said it was uv pasterrized, don't worry about wild yeast. even with unpasteurized cider you can get away with just pitching a cultured yeast.

tedclev, have to almost completely disagree with you, although i agree that a semi-sweet draught cider doesn't require a lot of age to be drinkable. when i make these i age them just long enough to clear completely; within 2 months. comparing aged cider to an aged mild ale sounds fine but in practice they are just different beasts. i make at least 2 different ciders every autumn that are around 6%, fermented dry, and then after 3-4 months i taste them every couple months. they always get better with age, and i don't even consider them drinkable until at least 6 months, but more like 8-12 months before it's at its best. i wouldn't suggest to cellar it for years like a strong red wine, but i have never had anything bad happen to a cider within a year, other than running out of it. i'm not alone, pretty much every other cider maker i have met who makes a dry cider doesn't touch it for at least 6 months. well that's my $0.0142857 anyways. good luck!

Forget the tannin. Acid blend wouldn't hurt, but not really necessary. Definitely use yeast nutrient though.

Not sure how you can make these statements without knowing what blend of apples the OP has.

Tannin is a great tool to boost texture, body and mouthfeel in cider. It is especially useful when making a cider from sweet dessert apples which is 99% of most fresh pressed juice blends from the orchard and pretty deficient in tannin.

If anything, drop the acid blend, which is a winemakers blend of malic, tartaric and citric acid in favor of a straight malic, which is the dominant acid in apples. Blend will work, but malic gives better results.

Its all macintosh, so deddinatly a sweet blend of cider. I have added tannin, and pectic enzyme so far. Its sitting on my porch which is like 50 deg. F i think im gonna throw a few camden tabs in today and let it sit till monday evening of tuesday them start everything else

Back