Proof of concept trellis system (small)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbeckett

Reaction score
I decided to use some recycled PVC pipe to build a proof of concept trwllis system that would be moduler and easilly disassemble in off season. This set up is currently in my veggie garden plot, but proves th usability of the design and ease of use. The legs and top rail are 1.25 PVC sched. 40 pipe and 5 T-connectors and One slip fitting. The slip fitting was required because I am recycling the pipe and fittings from another project. So my total cost for this is exactly 79 Cents. I omly glued the pipe at the top rail wher it goes into the T-fitting on one side, the center and the small sections are not glued to increase ths ability to adjust the height and spread of the legs. Hope you enjoy the design and I will post the 20 foot tall 40 foot long trellis that was proven by this small scale miniature. As it stands it is just over 7 feet tall on 8 foot legs and the center section is 8 feet plus 2 extra feet on each end for a total of 12 feet. The down lines will be even with the legs and the center section will be used for something that appreciates a bit o' shade. I think the tomatoes I have will enjoy the climb. So whaddaya think of my recycled trellis?

"Bob in the wheel chair but still using my head at least"

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

seems like a great idea for that scale. I'd recommend hammering some sticks of rebar into the ground and then putting the legs on these to make things more stable.
As for scaling up; it may get wobbly unless you use really big PVC.
Let us know how it goes!

I plan to set the legs ten feet apart so there should be no sag in the top rail. The legs are going to have to have a stiffener about 1/2 way up to keep the legs from wobbling. A T-fitting at the 10 foot level in the leg with the extra leg tied to the ground will give it much more stability I think. So no pipe will end up spanning more than 10 feet. I am using 1.5 inch thick wall PVC which is a bit stiffer than 1.25 sched. 40. I'll post up the pics when I get it assembled and raised up to its working height.
Bob

Back