Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once blacked out from two steel reserves. that was probably the worst thing i've ever drank in my life. i thought i was dying the next day

j1laskey said:
Boston beer company or Boston beer works?

Boston beer company. I called it Boston brewing company by mistake. Pretty much Anything with the Sam Adams name is wretched skunk piss to my taste buds.

Lol I don't know why so many people hate Sam Adams...I'll never get tired of their Boston lager. I'm not sure what the worst beer I've had to date is...I'm not a beer snob yet but me and my friends drank some expired and hot lonestar back in high school which is the only beer I can remember not being able to finish

I love Sam Adams, don't get me wrong. I have some problems with their homebrew competition that ends up taking the work of a homebrewer and turning it over to the Sam Adams brewery for 5,000 dollars (The Irish Red was a homebrew recepie, for example).

But for the most part, Sam Adams makes some of the best mass produced beer in America. It's just that cranberry lambic abortion.... holy Shiva it's terrible. It's worse than the worst news story on your TV tonight.

Ok Here's mine.

I was camping/ fishing/ drinking with my younger brother. It was an epic weekend, swamped the boat, somehow lost a chainsaw, and wrecked a truck, but that's another tale....

Anyhow we had a pile of bush beer and rainier beer mixed in a couple of coolers outside, along with the two bottles of mitchers I kept in the tent, Ya he has no taste. The first night the bears came, they drank every one of the bush beers and there wasn't a single rainier touched... not one.

I had to drive 30 miles to town to get some bud, I couldn't drink that crap either.

I once blacked out from two steel reserves. that was probably the worst thing i've ever drank in my life. i thought i was dying the next day

If you passed out after two and felt like you were dying the next day it definitely wasnt the beer. No doubt, Steel Reserve is cheap adjunct lager, but there is nothing toxic about it (well the EtOH is toxic, but no more toxic than that found in any other alcoholic beverage).

brewit2it said:
If you passed out after two and felt like you were dying the next day it definitely wasnt the beer. No doubt, Steel Reserve is cheap adjunct lager, but there is nothing toxic about it (well the EtOH is toxic, but no more toxic than that found in any other alcoholic beverage).

I pretty sure he was refering to the hangover. And he's right malt liqour gives the worst hangovers ever

Boston beer company. I called it Boston brewing company by mistake. Pretty much Anything with the Sam Adams name is wretched skunk piss to my taste buds.

Someone who recognizes the taste of skunk piss...is someone whose opinion I don't need.:p

Worst beer ive ever had?

Im going to have to go with Sapporo - we just picked this up to try it. Tasted like an old expired can of natty ice. Could have had a bad one, but either way I wont drink it again.

All the 5 Lizard, 5 Rabbit, 5 Vulture, etc beers. Not sure the name, they're just coming out in my area. People are loving them but all almost taste like they were made from beer concentrate. Flavors all seem artificial to me, ESPECIALLY the 5 Lizard one that has coriander.

I've had a lot of crap, and this may be surprising to some, but miller lite is terrible. Everyone I've ever had has been flat and virtually flavorless. What flavor was there was terrible. I'd rather drink water... With scotch...

Would have to say Red Stripe is the worst I have ever had. It was so bad I had to pour it out, which is something I typically would never do. I thought I could finish everything, but that one, no.

Heineken was bad, but I could finish it at least. Lot of lighter beers like Keystone and Natty I can drink as it seems like I am drinking water. I bought a 6er of PBR once just to try a "horrible beer" and found I preferred it to Budweiser. Same when I tried a Schlitz, was pleasantly surprised by the flavor. It's not Bud Light for sure. Maybe why people hate it.

Red Strip wins though. Horrible stuff.

I almost forgot. In college I made a pork loin with corriander cream sauce... and washed it down with a 20oz of St. Ides. I dont remember it tasting that badly, but I do remember the pork (as well as my shoes) coming up an hour later.

I literally prayed for death after 45 minutes.

I almost forgot. In college I made a pork loin with corriander cream sauce... and washed it down with a 20oz of St. Ides. I dont remember it tasting that badly, but I do remember the pork (as well as my shoes) coming up an hour later.

I literally prayed for death after 45 minutes.

Ha! When I was a kid I loved St. Ides. But I had a rough first go of 'er. Used to drinking 8-12 beers and achieving a nice, even drunkeness, so I thought 2 40's of St. Ides would do just nicely, and the price was right. I was not familiar with malt liquor. I drank the 2 40's in 20-30 minutes, or so I was told.

Went to a wet dry event on campus a little while later. They wanted my ID, I got confused, said just a minute and went to a bank machine to grab a 20. Tried to pay cover for what was a free event. Somehow they stamped my hand appropriately and I kept drinking. Frosh week! Hahahahaha!

LTownLiquorPig said:
Ha! When I was a kid I loved St. Ides. But I had a rough first go of 'er. Used to drinking 8-12 beers and achieving a nice, even drunkeness, so I thought 2 40's of St. Ides would do just nicely, and the price was right. I was not familiar with malt liquor. I drank the 2 40's in 20-30 minutes, or so I was told.

Went to a wet dry event on campus a little while later. They wanted my ID, I got confused, said just a minute and went to a bank machine to grab a 20. Tried to pay cover for what was a free event. Somehow they stamped my hand appropriately and I kept drinking. Frosh week! Hahahahaha!

Reminds me of the few times I tried to use my student ID for my drivers license...they let me in, I think they just wanted to look like they were checking.

Another time I tried to pay for food with food points on my student ID despite the fact that no off-campus eateries accept them unless they deliver. Eventually he just swiped it and had me sign a napkin to get me out of line so he could help the other people in line.

I had the mispleasure the other day to try a beer brewed by Chameleon Brewing Company called "Hop on Top". I was expecting good things, but something is just WRONG with this beer! I thought I just might have gotten a bad six pack, but I found lots of other bad reviews online. Some posters described a 'dirty dishwater' or 'plastic' taste, and I concur. Its as if their hops were horribly oxidized or the beer was stored improperly or something. Blah! First and only time I have ever dumped out a six pack of beer! This is coming from someone who will drink warm PBR so that is saying something.

I have consumed some horrible stuff in my life but Budweiser Chelada takes the crown. It is basically salty tomato juice and Budweiser. I poured the can out after 1 sip and it looks just like it taste...ass vomit.

Back in Guatemala, we drink Micheladas and Cheladas. They're essentially beer Bloody Mary's the former with tomato juice (or Clamato) and the latter not.

The bastardized version Bud Light makes is horrible but a properly made one is great, assuming you like Bloody Mary's.

Back in Guatemala, we drink Micheladas and Cheladas. They're essentially beer Bloody Mary's the former with tomato juice (or Clamato) and the latter not.

The bastardized version Bud Light makes is horrible but a properly made one is great, assuming you like Bloody Mary's.
cheladas, micheladas, and michelada vaso (with jugo de maggi) are the greatest invention ever! i haven't had the bud chelada, but i will sure give it a try- i mainline clamato as soon as it gets above 65

spearko520 said:
cheladas, micheladas, and michelada vaso (with jugo de maggi) are the greatest invention ever! i haven't had the bud chelada, but i will sure give it a try- i mainline clamato as soon as it gets above 65

Great way to kill a hangover!

Saranac's caramel porter is TERRIBLE! The caramel is just so fake tasting, and it's not really a decent porter to begin with. I actually couldn't finish it, and I used to drink Steel Reserve:(

I thought mine was great. I still have batch one of Descendant Suffolk Dark Ale hiding in the basement....I plan on waiting awhile before opening this one.

Man I couldn't deal with it in the slightest. Talked to a buddy who is opening a brewery in Fort Point in South Boston about it and he said there was some fermentation fault with it. Why they still bottled it and put it on the market is beyond me...

Batch 2 was fermented way too low, apparently someone forgot to turn the heat on or something, so the beer came out poorly as well. *shrug* at least they finally got it right

mcaple1 said:
Deschutes "The Abyss" 2008. I know I'm going to get hell for this one, but I honestly was just not a fan. I have had much better RIS's that didn't have that really tannin bitter aftertaste that I got from this. Sorry guys, but I'm a fan of Surly Darkness.

I don't know about the release year, but i had the abyss at the end of doing the "ale trail" in bend. I have never not wanted to finish a beer more than i did there. Granted, i was toasted. I like a thick RIS, but the abyss was just too much. Pounding that was a nightmare!

Kentucky Ale..... This stuff makes Colt45 seem easy drinking...it is so sickly sweet with an aftertaste that resembles well used hockey equipment....even the juice of an entire lime cannot save this filth...

Busch Bavaraian. Got off the plane coming home after 4 1/2 years in Bavaria and stopped at a Jiffy store for a beer on the way to the house. Ooooh yuck, what is this? I though the beer had spoiled or gone bad in the bottle. I got the coldest they had and had put it in the cooler but that stuff was NASTY. Come to find out later that it always tasted like that, I had just gotten used to it before I left for Germany. Coming home to domestic swill was a big let down and a real buzz kill after a great flight home. Eventually I settled on Schlitz since it was consistently malty and fresh and free of aftertastes and metalic tones. Premium taste in a bargain basement brew. Who woulda thunk...
Bob

Not sure if anybody said this yet, but Shipyard Pumpkinhead is a vile vile slurry.

Nasty Concoction.

Seadog Blueberry is up there, Sam's cherry wheat too.

Back