Explosive Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aylmer

Reaction score
My blackberry wheat ale has reached week three. So far, one week of being bottled I popped one and it sounded like a gunshot. The beer in its entirety turned to foam and after 5 minutes settled back into a yummy liquid state. I went ahead and placed the beers outside for fear of explosive bottles. Any idea what I did wrong? Too much priming sugar with no account of added sugar from the blackberries is my best guess. I plan on siphoning back to the fermenter as it needs some dryhopping as well as to release most of the gas and then rebottle.

I plan on siphoning back to the fermenter as it needs some dryhopping as well as to release most of the gas and then rebottle.

You can't resiphon it into the fermenter from bottles at this point. To do so will absolutely introduce lots of oxygen which will spoil your beer very quickly. Your beer will then taste like wet cardboard.

The best you can do is put it in a very cold fridge -- CO2 settles into liquid better this way -- and hope for the best.

Back