Two kegs and a Cooler... Stop me if you have heard this one.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobjohnson77

Reaction score
I want to get into AG. I have a full size keg and a half keg. My plans are to make the full size keg into a keggle, a brew pot correct? put a small valve in the bottom as low as I can with a dip tube going down to the bottom or close to it at least for full 5 gallon boils on a turkey fryer burner. And there is no need for a false botom on that right? THen the smaller keg cut up and possibly put in an electric burner and valve of course for heating my strike water to the desired temps 15 and 170 or what have you. THen get a 10 gallon watter cooler rip the valve out and replace with a another one with a filter on it or manifold of some sort correct? Here is where Iget really confused is that all Ineed for AG or do I need to make a spinkler head for the top of the cooler too? is a manifold or braded mesh needed in the bottom or is a grain bag enough? Thank for the help and sorry if I used the wrong terms I'm a n00B.

Use the 15.5 Sanke keg as a Boil Kettle, with a ss braid clamped to the dip tube, and a ball valve outside.

Use the 1/4 bbl keg as a HLT, and yeah, a cooler with a braid fastened thru the drain hole, with a hose extending outside to fill the BK.

Can I get the braid at Home depot/ Loews? Can I use a mesh screen in the MLT? I have seen all kinds of things used here and want the easiest. I was thinking a pizza pan with holes in it and a grease splatter screen to fit.

some people have trouble with the braid collapsing and resulting in a stuck mash. u could simply put a small piece of copper pipe inside of the braid to keep it from collapsing. the "easiest" route would just be to order a false bottom from a brewstore. the cheapest would be to make it out of cpvc. i'm not sure what kind of metal the pizza pan is made of, but i'm sure if u can eat the pizza that u cook on it, it should be fine. just look at some of the peoples pictures in their galleries. you'll find that allmost everyone's setup is a little different, and most are equally as efficient. just make sure ur setup won't melt or cause cancer and you'll be in business :)
my setup just happens to be a 1/4 keg for the HLT, a cooler for the MLT and a full keg for the boil kettle. so yeau it can be done. i only spent money on the ball valve fittings. the kegs and copper part were free. i spent less than 100 bux on my setup and it's all electric. 4500 watt heating elements in both the HLT and boil kettle. 15 gallon water igloo ice cube's are really cheap. 25 bux at wallmart.

Easiest thing is a braid. Do a search here in the DIY area and you will see lots of versions. Mine is a loop of stainless brain, attached to a tee. Apparently you don;t need anything that elaborate for batch sparge, you can just use a short piece. I solved the squish problem with some stainless wire, coiled into a spring, inside the braid.

Back