Lets talk about wheat wine..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopheadNJ

Reaction score
I've only had Smuttynose Wheat Wine Ale which I really enjoyed. Are there any other brewers that have released a wheat wine? I've never been aware of the style before having this brew.

I was recently flipping through Randy Mosher's "Radical Brewing" and he mentions that It ages much quicker than barley wine. Does anybody have any recipes for a wheat wine or a clone of Smuttynose's? How quickly will something like this age?

Weyerbacher 14 is 50% Wheat and they call it a wheat wine, the few sips I had of the first one before I spilled it were good.

I like where this is going... this style seems somewhat shy. Not an abundance of commercial examples. This seems like a brew I should make a few small (2.5-3gal) batches of. I know most wheat beers are best young, but something like this could def. use some aging. Will prob take a few tastings to find the sweet spot for aging time...

Heres one that Northern Brewer was offering as a early 09 limited edition. Found a recipe on their forum.

Quebecois Quadruple Wheat Wine
OG 1.092
FG 1.012
BU 22
SRM 8
ABV 10.5%
Ready: 8 weeks
The Québécois are proud, bold and fiercely loyal people that can't be understood after a few pints, and they sure can make damn good beer. This quadruple wheat wine is very much along the lines of a strong Belgian golden ale but with a wheat focus. The wheat adds a bready character and keeps the beer from being too dry and the addition of Grains of Paradise adds a spicy, peppery finish. This dangerously potent (approx. 9% abv) libation is a peace offering to our friends to the North: in all seriousness, sorry for stealing Shatner...

Recipe
Extract - 6lb Wheat LME & 3lb wheat DME
AG - 5lb wheat-Belgian & 5lb pilsen-Belgian; Mash: 149F x 60min

Ingredients for both:
0.5# honey malt
2lb corn sugar
2 packs (4gm) Grains of Paradise - 10min

Boil: 60min

Hops: 1oz Cluster 60min

Yeast: WYeast 3864PC Canadian/Belgian Ale

Notes
- Queb-quad for short
- This beer is a mix between a mythical quadrupple and a wheat-based Belgian-type barleywine. Its something along the lines of Unibroue's Don de Dieu but has a little more character.
- This is a much paler version of all the 'quadrupples' that Ive had. They are all to heavy to me and not very drinkable. The wheat really gives this a much smoother finish. Lets be frank though. There really is no 'Quadruple' style but I don't care. It's a sweet name and an even cooler beer.
- A good portion of sugar really lightens up the body keeping it from being to thick.
- One can regulate the finish of this beer by the amount of yeast they pitch. Meaning more yeast = dryer, more digestible; less yeast = richer, sweeter, fuller finish. Another note is that if you let this yeast get to warm you will get a lot of banana out of it. Keep it cool (<65F) for a lot of spicy fruit.
- A heafty portion of grains of paradise adds a really nice spicy kick to this. A little note, if you leave them in to long you'll loose the aroma and gain more 'spicy' flavor. I use an extra piece of grain bag and drop them in at 10min and then pull them out at knockout.

Heres one that Northern Brewer was offering as a early 09 limited edition. Found a recipe on their forum.

Quebecois Quadruple Wheat Wine
OG 1.092
FG 1.012
BU 22
SRM 8
ABV 10.5%
Ready: 8 weeks
The Québécois are proud, bold and fiercely loyal people that can't be understood after a few pints, and they sure can make damn good beer. This quadruple wheat wine is very much along the lines of a strong Belgian golden ale but with a wheat focus. The wheat adds a bready character and keeps the beer from being too dry and the addition of Grains of Paradise adds a spicy, peppery finish. This dangerously potent (approx. 9% abv) libation is a peace offering to our friends to the North: in all seriousness, sorry for stealing Shatner...

Recipe
Extract - 6lb Wheat LME & 3lb wheat DME
AG - 5lb wheat-Belgian & 5lb pilsen-Belgian; Mash: 149F x 60min

Ingredients for both:
0.5# honey malt
2lb corn sugar
2 packs (4gm) Grains of Paradise - 10min

Boil: 60min

Hops: 1oz Cluster 60min

Yeast: WYeast 3864PC Canadian/Belgian Ale

Notes
- Queb-quad for short
- This beer is a mix between a mythical quadrupple and a wheat-based Belgian-type barleywine. Its something along the lines of Unibroue's Don de Dieu but has a little more character.
- This is a much paler version of all the 'quadrupples' that Ive had. They are all to heavy to me and not very drinkable. The wheat really gives this a much smoother finish. Lets be frank though. There really is no 'Quadruple' style but I don't care. It's a sweet name and an even cooler beer.
- A good portion of sugar really lightens up the body keeping it from being to thick.
- One can regulate the finish of this beer by the amount of yeast they pitch. Meaning more yeast = dryer, more digestible; less yeast = richer, sweeter, fuller finish. Another note is that if you let this yeast get to warm you will get a lot of banana out of it. Keep it cool (<65F) for a lot of spicy fruit.
- A heafty portion of grains of paradise adds a really nice spicy kick to this. A little note, if you leave them in to long you'll loose the aroma and gain more 'spicy' flavor. I use an extra piece of grain bag and drop them in at 10min and then pull them out at knockout.

A little different than I had in mind, but it sounds delicious for sure.

@hopheadnj I am thinking of brewing this. Is an airlock during primary ok, or do you recommend a blowoff hose?

@hopheadnj I am thinking of brewing this. Is an airlock during primary ok, or do you recommend a blowoff hose?

I haven't brewed this yet, but I'd treat it like all my other beers.. blowoff until fermentation has relaxed and it's obviously safe to airlock it. Truthfully though, I'm lazy and often use only a blow off tube and airlocks only for carboy aging.

The older versions of Two Brothers Wheatwine were amazing and got better with age. The last few years have been lighter and they started using a hefe yeast which makes it a totally different beer.

I brewed a WW in which I toasted some of the wheat malt. It is at about 15% ABV and bland as all get out. It is aging in the bottle. I would recommend mashing as hot as possible to keep as much residual sugar as possible and a long boil (3 hr+) to add more character. I used an American ale yeast and a forbidden fruit so I hope this will be a little more interesting in the future.

Back