Cold Conditioning for 10 months???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markkiester

Reaction score
A roommate left behind a batch that has been in the fridge now for ten months. I hope someone can shed some light on whether it _can_ be any good or if it is most definitely bad.

He fermented it for two weeks then threw it in the fridge. The carb has not been removed, so no (or very little) OC2 has made its way into the vessel.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!

What kind of beer? It's probably fine...bigger beers hold up better then smaller beers, so an imperial stout, belgian dark, barleywine beer would be better then a cream ale, blonde ale, hoppy pale ale.

Also, people mostly think that you should drink hoppy beers (pales, IPAs, Double IPAs) fresh, but I have aged many a double IPA and it still tasted great.

It can't hurt you though, just taste it and find out for certain!

To reiterate though, it's most likely just fine. Very unlikely that refrigerated beer would ruin if you haven't disturbed it, or allowed O2 into it.

I'm sure it's fine. It's probably extremely clear. More than likely if you go to bottle it you will probably need to add fresh yeast. But there's no reason to think anything could be wrong with it.

Thanks, fella's. It's a hoppy, malty ale. I'll keg it sometime soon and go from there. Cheers! - love the Buddy Christ

Hey guys... finally kegged the brew. The beer is fine - a dark, malty ale. Thank you again for your input.

The bad part is, you'll probably like it so much to duplicate it you'll have to wait 10 months! :) I'm glad it worked out for you.

Back