batch sparge volumes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I never considered batch sparging until the other day so I dont know much about the process, can some one help?
Im thinking of batch sparging a 10 gallon batch the grain bill Im planing is 24lbs so I am wondering what volume of water I should use for each batch.
I will need to collect 12 gallons for the boil. Will I need to factor in 1.2 gallons of water to be absorbed ?
Is this possible with a 10 gallon mash tun?

You should be able to mash it in your 10 gallon cooler, with 24 pounds of grain and 1.25 mash ratio you should need about 9.5 gallons of cooler volume.

As far as water goes, you will need a total of 15.6 gallons, assuming you lose a half gallon to each of the mash tun and the boil kettle/chiller.

Mash in with 6 gallons
Mash out with 3.25 gallons
Sparge with 6.35 gallons

This should give you about 12.7 gallons in the boil kettle.

Have fun with that

Sean

killian said:
I never considered batch sparging until the other day so I dont know much about the process, can some one help?
Im thinking of batch sparging a 10 gallon batch the grain bill Im planing is 24lbs so I am wondering what volume of water I should use for each batch.
I will need to collect 12 gallons for the boil. Will I need to factor in 1.2 gallons of water to be absorbed ?
Is this possible with a 10 gallon mash tun?
What gravity are you shooting for? 12 gallons for the boil will not get you very good efficiency with 24 pounds of grain but if you are looking at a lower gravity beer you will be fine.

I've always calculated .1 gallon of water absorbed for each pound of grain so you are looking at almost 2 1/2 gallons absorbed by the grains.

seanhagerty said:
Mash in with 6 gallons
Mash out with 3.25 gallons
Sparge with 6.35 gallons

This should give you about 12.7 gallons in the boil kettle.

By my calcs, this won't fit in your 10-gal MLT...6 gallons H2O + 24 lb grain needs ~8 gallons of space, so there's no room for 3.25 gal of mashout H2O.

One option might be to:
- mash with 1.1 qt/lb, skip the mashout, drain the MLT
- do a 4-gal batch sparge
- do another 4-gal batch sparge

If your absorption is 0.1gal/lb, this gives you 4.2 + 4.0 +4.0 = 12.2 gal in your brewpot. As others have said, you might want to sparge more for better efficiency; could probbly go with a mash of 1.25 qt/lb (will be tight) and then maybe 5 gal for each sparge.

Bike N Brew said:
By my calcs, this won't fit in your 10-gal MLT...6 gallons H2O + 24 lb grain needs ~8 gallons of space, so there's no room for 3.25 gal of mashout H2O.

One option might be to:
- mash with 1.1 qt/lb, skip the mashout, drain the MLT
- do a 4-gal batch sparge
- do another 4-gal batch sparge

If your absorption is 0.1gal/lb, this gives you 4.2 + 4.0 +4.0 = 12.2 gal in your brewpot. As others have said, you might want to sparge more for better efficiency; could probbly go with a mash of 1.25 qt/lb (will be tight) and then maybe 5 gal for each sparge.
DOH!!

Good catch, I forgot about figuring mash out in the volume, thanks for seeing that.:tank: :tank:

I just downloaded qbrew, it is giving me a recipe gravity of 1.067 is this with 100% efficiency or something? I am looking for a gravity right around 1.067. should I add more base malt to compensate for possible efficiency loss? I dont know what my efficiency is or should I say has been. I havent calculated it with any of my brews yet.

My maximum boil volume is 13.5 gallons, should I mash with a stiff mash 1qt per lb giving me 6 gallons in my first mash (2.4 gallons lost to grain absorption) collecting about 3.5 gallons, then 2 batch sparges of 5.5-6 gallons?

I am thinking of brewing 2 10 gallon batches at the same time my 1 boil kettles will hold 13.5 gallons the other 15.5. I am looking to ferment about 22 gallons.

Back