Eden Organic Barley Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fineexampl

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted a brew with this stuff? Eden Organic Barley Malt: Traditional Malt Syrup. Ingredients: organic sprouted barley.

Am i correct in thinking this list of ingredients implies that this is nothing more than LME in a 1lb jar? It was about $6, so it's hardly economical. I bought some just to try it out. It's organic and kosher.

I tasted some just now. If it's not LME, it's taste is identical. So it the aroma.

eden%20organic%20barley%20malt.jpg

It's food-grade malt extract, which tends to be lower quality than brewing-grade malt extract. Yes, I've used it in cooking (excellent ingredient for many purposes whenever you want to add some complex sweetness to a dish if you balance it with some spiciness), but you're better off just buying an extra pound from the homebrew store for that purpose. It's cheaper and higher quality. Of course, if you are religiously restricted and need kosher ingredients, this may be your best option. You can always e-mail the major homebrew stores to inquire if their products are kosher or can be thus certified, I suppose (I don't believe in talking snakes and such, so I am not familiar with the details.)

:lol: No, no worries of kosher needs here either. However good to know about a grading system.

Back