Does Ranco ETC-111000 have...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrawGator

Reaction score
An anti-short cycle delay? I know the Johnson controller does. I can find no mention in any of the docs from Ranco.

This seems like a very good feature to have!

Not exactly, but you can set a temp differential of up to 4* to prevent short cycling.

Would this suffice as well as the short cycle delay? My situation will be a freezer in a garage in the hot, muggy Mississippi weather.

Sure, you can set say a 3* differential and then place the probe in a thermowell and place that in a container of water. The water will approximate the temp of your beer and won't change rapidly. I can't remember which side the differential is on, but let's say the low side: That means that you set it for say 38* with 3* diff. It will run to 35* and turn off. It won't turn on again until it hits 38*. I might have that backwards, it might run to 38*, climb to 41* then turn back on. Either way, as long as the temp can't swing 3* in 4 minutes, you have a short cycle delay.

I have the probe in my big fridge in a gallon of water to help keep it from running too much.

Thanks for the info!

Is there any other difference between the Ranco ETC and the Johnson A419 other than the short cycle protection on the Johnson? Do both function the same? Temp display, size of increments for temp adjustment etc...

Reason I ask is they are both almost the same price on ebay.

I have both but most of my experience is using the Ranco. The A419 I have is on my big fridge and I just set and forget it. I've used the Ranco's for my digital HLT and glycol chiller.

I think they are both good units and I'm not really aware of anything one will do that the other wont. The A419 is a little more compact but the extra room in the Ranco makes it easy to add a detachable probe connection.

You wont go wrong either way.

Latest posts

Back