Stirring wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
This weekend I did a beer and decided to stir the wort while it was cooling it took only 12 minutes to cool as opposed to 30 - 40 minutes if I just put the chiller in and let it sit. Will stirring the wort while it cools add off flavors or is it just extra aeration.

Hot Side Aeration - Bad

Don't ask me why, perhaps someone else knows, but you don't want to oxegenate the woort before it has cooled off, because it CAN add off flavors. Although, stirring may not neccesarily ozegenate the wort. I have heard of many people (myself not included) that stir their wort to help out their immersion chiller work a little faster. As long as you don't splash around or cough into your wort, you should be cool.

what about the big breweries that whirpool their wort a brewpub I toured actually showed the process they just pump the wort around in a circle to get the trub and hops to the center I didn't splash too much thought. So far it tastes okay from the primary.

Stir gently to get it doen to temp faster. It says t's OK in "How To Brew" so....must be!

Back