Terrapin -- props for helping out homebrewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
I must say I am super impressed with Terrapin breweries. They make two of my favourite beers (Rye Ae and Coffee Oatmeal Stout), which I have clones of that I want to make.

Before making the clones, I wanted to know about the kind of water they used and whether or not they made any chemical alterations to the water for either of the brews. So I emailed them through their generic online contact email address, and not even a few hours had passed before the head brewmaster/co-owner personally responded to my email with the information I needed.

Responding to a small-time nobody homebrewer is just a mark of a good stand-up brewery in my mind. I certainly respect that a lot.

Cheers, Terrapin :rockin:

Essentially, they carbon filter their water and add gypsum and calcium chloride to the rye and nothing to the wake and bake.

Coffee Oatmeal Stout

This beer is awesome..Did you create the recipe yet? I made a recipe from the ingredients listed on their website for Hopsecutioner and it came out very close to theirs. I think its great that they list the ingredients on the website. Most of the formualtions we can do on our own.

Got this recipe off of Morebeer.

6 Gallons
OG 1.084 (at 65% due to the high OG)
IBU's 50
SRM 50

17.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.25 lb Oats, Flaked
1.00 lb Roasted Barley
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt
0.75 lb Barley, Flaked
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt
1.50 oz Chinook [10.70 %] (60 min) Hops 39.0 IBU
2.00 oz Northern Brewer [6.50 %] (10 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
Wyeast 1272

After cold conditioning, add 3-4oz coffee to your secondary aging tank for 48 hours and transfer it off the coffee. Use coarsely ground beans in some type of straining bag.

I will be brewing this as soon as I kick my keg with the Deception Cream Stout in.

+1 to Terrapin. I live in Athens and "tour" their brewery all the time. They have been pretty good to the Athens community as of late.

Wake N Bake, greatest name, too bad the feds wouldn't let them keep it. And to think I vote.....

The head brewer Spike is a great guy, and used to be a homebrewer himself. I met him in the parking lot of a Phish show. We got to talking (before I realized who he was) and I told him I homebrewed and he responded with "oh yeah? so do I, but on a little different scale" and pulled a bottle of Terrapin out of his cooler. It was pretty funny, and we went on to talk brewing for at least an hour before the show and he critiqued my beers giving me some feedback and ideas.

Back