What are the most unique hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David

Reaction score
I'd like to know which strains of hops are the most unique/hardest to substitute?

To me, most hops I've had smell the same except for Apollo which was 18%AAU and smelled like week old cat piss.

Well, I think amarillo is one that doesn't really have any good subs. Nor does simcoe. I also think chinook would be hard to replace. Northern brewer is another one that I don't think I would be able to sub for, with the same results. As I think about it, I think they all are unique and have slightly different qualities but there are more similarities between hops from a certain region.

For example, German hops have a similar profile; halletauer, and tettnanger have similar flavor. English hops like fuggles and East Kent goldings are similar in their characteristics, and US hops like cascade and centennial are both citrusy. I can't think of any that are a great sub for each other, but there are some that can be close enough that it may not be terribly noticeable in the finished product.

Well, I think amarillo is one that doesn't really have any good subs. Nor does simcoe. I also think chinook would be hard to replace. Northern brewer is another one that I don't think I would be able to sub for, with the same results. As I think about it, I think they all are unique and have slightly different qualities but there are more similarities between hops from a certain region.

For example, German hops have a similar profile; halletauer, and tettnanger have similar flavor. English hops like fuggles and East Kent goldings are similar in their characteristics, and US hops like cascade and centennial are both citrusy. I can't think of any that are a great sub for each other, but there are some that can be close enough that it may not be terribly noticeable in the finished product.

Good info and glad to see avatar back........:rockin::off:

I just finished a keg of a simple nelson sauvin pale ale and i couldn't imagine a substitute for that hop. The tart, fresh grape aromas from nelson sauvin are amazing.

I just finished a keg of a simple nelson sauvin pale ale and i couldn't imagine a substitute for that hop. The tart, fresh grape aromas from nelson sauvin are amazing.

When I saw the title of the thread the first thing that popped into my head was "nelson sauvin!".

What about Riwaka as a sub for Amarillo?

Amarillo is much more subtle and complex than Riwaka, with stonefruit and pineapple stuff happening. Riwaka is just straight kumquat!:fro: Never had 'em side by side tho, that'd be cool to do.

Back