vacuum strength between the different foodsaver models

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a foodsaver. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the vacuum strength that the different models can create? I.e. will the more expensive models have a stronger pump or do they all have the same pump but fancier features. If the latter is the case I would be fine with the simplest model.

Kai

I bought a POS the first time around from Wallmart, don't wast your time. I took it back and bought a good FoodSaver brand and it sucks......a good vacuum. I do think there are better ones out there though.

Yes, I was planning to go for the FoodSaver brand and was wondering about the differences between their models.

Kai

Ahhh I gotcha!! I can just tell you the one I have and I am very happy with it, its the V2040. I would be willing to bet the vacuum is the same in all of them, but thats just a guess.

I'm not sure what model I have but it was relatively inexpensive and works great for packaging and resealing hops.

I can't help with the vacuum strength but I can offer this advice,

If you can check the heat strip before you buy DO IT!

My older model, a V1080 (look ma it's high def), has a, i dunno, splice of some sort in the heat strip. Problem is that all too often (but not always) the splice creates a "pimple" in the seal and that leaks. My work around til this one dies is that I have to double seal when the pimple forms.

Prosit.

One thing I'd really recommend is getting a model that lets you activate just the heat strip - I have an older one that only has one button and it always goes through the vacuum cycle while making bags and it is a real PITA. Being able to just activate the heat strip would save tons of time.

I have a "cheaper" model, and it works great. EXCEPT- the seal/gasket around the vacuum is foam. So, it works fine for about 3 times in a row while packaging hops. Then the foam gasket is too mushed in there, and I have to pull it out and turn it over and set it back in. The company has excellent customer service and sent a new gasket, but I have the same problem.

If you have the chance to open and look at the foodsaver model you're thinking of, I would recommend getting one that has a stiffer gasket. If I'm only using it for a couple of items, it works great. But packaging large quantities can be a real pain- like with garden produce, or hops, when you are making many packages. I feel like I"m always screwing around with that gasket.

I've been looking at FoodSavers recently so I just called them up to ask about this. The only one that sucks harder is the top of the line Gamesaver Turbo Plus ($299). It's the only model with a double piston pump.

Other than that, some models have 2 vacuum speeds, but that only changes the speed of the sucking, not the strength.

In case anybody's looking at buying one soon, I was also told that the V2830 kit (I think that's the one she was talking about) is a lower price if you order it direct from them, but I'm seeing it for the same price ($99) elsewhere online so maybe I misunderstood. The rep did say that you could save another 10% if you call and place the order versus ordering online from their site. I'm not sure how their direct prices compare to someplace like Sam's, but they seem to be the same as Target.

I've been looking at FoodSavers recently so I just called them up to ask about this. The only one that sucks harder is the top of the line Gamesaver Turbo Plus ($299). It's the only model with a double piston pump.

Other than that, some models have 2 vacuum speeds, but that only changes the speed of the sucking, not the strength.

In case anybody's looking at buying one soon, I was also told that the V2830 kit (I think that's the one she was talking about) is a lower price if you order it direct from them, but I'm seeing it for the same price ($99) elsewhere online so maybe I misunderstood. The rep did say that you could save another 10% if you call and place the order versus ordering online from their site. I'm not sure how their direct prices compare to someplace like Sam's, but they seem to be the same as Target.

I just bought the V2830 for 59.99 . $40 off and free shipping

Don't know which model # I have but it is the cheapest one (all white).

Altough it does have a "extended vacuum" button on it for "juicier" foods...

I have an old foodsaver.

I found it not sucking at all and then turned the bags 90 degrees and it worked great. I know they have a top and bottom but don't know why it would matter which direction the grain goes. Anyone else experience that?

I have an old foodsaver.

I found it not sucking at all and then turned the bags 90 degrees and it worked great. I know they have a top and bottom but don't know why it would matter which direction the grain goes. Anyone else experience that?

Chances are your problem is the bagging materiel. Some of the plastic used is better than others.

I got the costco food saver. All I have done so far is two bags of pulled pork but I like it. It comes with a marinating cannister which is fairly expensive on its own.

If you get this one or another one that automatically senses the bag, it is really hard to stick the bag straight in. They include a little slip that suggests putting a corner in first and then straightening the edge out, that works perfectly but none of the instructions mention this. I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out how to work it before my wife found that little slip.

i have the 800. you should be able to still find this model for cheap. its the larger version but it doesnt have the seal lever which makes it a little easier to work. all of them that i have used all pull about the same vacuum. oh and i use walmart bags instead of the foodsaver bags and they work just as well. i sealed up 10 dozen tamales on thanksgiving.

one thing to remember as well.

when sealing a wet product freeze it first then seal it.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to go through them in more detail later. We lost power at home and have to stay with the in-laws for the night.

Kai

I just bought the V2830 for 59.99 . $40 off and free shipping

I just took advantage of the same deal. Thanks for posting that. I also checked the manual and it seems as if I can create a seal w/o having to engage the vacuum pump. The manual also alluded to the fact that this foodsaver can seal mylar bags in case I ever want to use that material.

Kai

I had one fro several years and the foam gasket finally got too nicked up to hold the vacuum. When I called the company I was told they no longer make the gasket for that model. I ended up buying a new one (V2250)over the phone from them and the rep gave me 2 rolls of the gallon sized bags and 2 extra gaskets for the new one for free. So I can attest that they do have good customer service.

I just took advantage of the same deal. Thanks for posting that. I also checked the manual and it seems as if I can create a seal w/o having to engage the vacuum pump. The manual also alluded to the fact that this foodsaver can seal mylar bags in case I ever want to use that material.

Kai

I bought it for my wife for Christmas( just an extra thing) as she just bought the Reynolds handyvac system while it works it can be a pain in the butt at times

And this way I get to use it ....

Kai and Springer - have you used this yet for sealing hops?

I've got 4 lbs that I want to break down into 1-2 oz. Does this model work? Seems like a good sale.

Back