How to use BIGGER bottles...???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
So I bought a few of the Ommegang Witte's last weekend and had a few with the crew. We thought they were great. I was wondering how we could use these types of bottles to bottle our home brew with? The bottles are corked and not capped because of the large oval mouth of the bottle. Has anyone ever corked their home brew here??? How has it come out???

- Brian

Brewtopia corks quite a few beers. I opened up one of his nearly one year old beers this weekend and it was well carbonated, tasted fine, and gave me a decent hangover. (The only disadvantage to large bottles is that if you aren't sharing them, you have to drink it all yourself)

(The only disadvantage to large bottles is that if you aren't sharing them, you have to drink it all yourself)

Or, you could re-cap the the bottle, put it back in the fridge, and drink it tomorrow. I'm not seeing a disadvantage here.

I've re-corked and re-capped bottles before, invariably it seems like my beer always ends up going flat or tasting funky. If I open a big one, I'm finishing the whole thing.

To those who cork, do you just shove it in or buy a corker? and do you use the wire wraps as well like Delrium (and many others) bottles?

I'm wondering as well. I saw some special caps at the LHBS which were some sort of Belgian cap. Not sure what they go on. I wasn't feeling well and didn't stick around long enough to ask.

I think you do need to use a wire cage, as the pressure inside the bottle will push the cork out.

Back