How do I get my horizontal freezer at the right temp???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomicjoe23

Reaction score
We just got a horizontal freezer for free and we built an "L" shaped bar (it's really cool. . .we used corrugated metal for the front, and old bar wood for the sides as well as the top and bottom trim. . .we put beer bottle caps on the counter top and covered them with a clear resin. . .getting ready to mount a brass triple tower dispenser to the counter also) to fit this freezer (46"W x 35"H x 27"D) and now I can't get the freezer to come above freezing. . .the highest I can get the temperature to is 12*F (I'm using a refrigerator/freezer thermometer). . .I'm shooting for about 45*F.

I know that others (I had a friend in Hawaii who did) have/are using freezers as keg coolers. What do I need to do to get the temperature to the correct range. . .replace the thermostat unit????

External temperature controller- the freezer plugs into the controller, the controller plugs into the wall.

Dial-Thermostat.jpg

You need a Johnson, Ranco or Love controller. I have the Johnson pictured above and it works great, +/- 3F.

Another vote for the Ranco ETC-111000. I use one in the kegger and one in the fermentation fridge.

Back