Bits in my bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpoc

Reaction score
Hi, my first two batches of beer are now in their bottles. Batch one was bottled 11 days ago, the second batch was bottled 7 days ago.

Yesterday, both were looking good. They are in brown plastic bottles that I got from my local shop and I could look through the bottles and both were crystal clear with a small amount of sediment at the bottom.

This morning, the younger batch was still looking the same but the batch that has been in bottles for one and a half weeks was a shocker.

Each bottle is full of small particles just floating in suspension. The size of each is a little less than one mm.

What has happened? Did I get something wrong? Can I do anything to fix it? Will the floaters eventually settle out?

Your yeast has multiplied with the priming sugar. They will settle out, also if you cold crash your bottles in the fridge for a couple of days the yeast will drop out of suspension. Do not do this until they are properly carbonated as cold crashing kills the yeast.

Thanks for the encouragement, the bits settled out by themselves the same day though I could see enough through the bottle to tell that it was a little cloudy.

By this morning, it had spent 2 weeks in the bottles so I put some in the fridge and went shopping.

Now, I am home and the cloudiness seems to have gone. Whoopee.

So, the moment of truth approaches.

I remember my first sample of my first batch ever. It was exciting and I was also nervous that it would taste like crap.

The batch turned out great and I've been hooked ever since. That was about 3-4 months ago.

Hi, my name is Carl and I'm a beer making addict.

Back