American heff and a coconut ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyh

Reaction score
Brewed a american heff from brew more. Some how they sent a pound of corn with it. Figured what the hell and added it to the boil. Any idea what will happen to the taste?

Second did a light coconut ale with a pilsner forgot to order the lactose but did it anyways. Added 14oz of coconut water to the boil and 14oz of shaved rosted coconut to the boil. Next will rack it off and taste. Then will add 2 whole fresh coconuts shaved and roated to the secondary and dry hop with the fresh roated coconut

Corn will dry the beer out a bit more and lend a tiny bit of sweet grainy flavor to it

I think you need more coconut. I've made a coconut porter and a Pina Colada IPA with 4 and 3 lbs of shaved toasted coconut respectively. Even at those levels, it wasnt overwhelming and the flavor fades after a few months

Corn will dry the beer out a bit more and lend a tiny bit of sweet grainy flavor to it

Not if you boil it! For the future, corn needs to be mashed with some base malt to contribute anything other than starch haze! Maybe some flavor, but I kind of doubt it. Good move dry-nutting with the roasted coconut. That's my preferred method. Not sure about coconut water though. I guess use everything, right?

Back