Gelatin Finnings question on when to add

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunkTruck

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been reading about finnings and i think i'm going to give gelatin a try.
I will be bottle conditioning a Kolsch made with White labs Kolsch/ale yeast.

My questions is about timing, when do I add the gelatin?

I usually rack to a secondary, let it sit a couple weeks then cold crash in the fridge for 3 days before transfering to the bottling bucket.

So do I add the gelatin when I transfer to secondary?
Or do I add it a couple days before cold crashing?

If I add before cold crashing do I have to stir it up?
won't that put the trub that settled out back in suspension?

My last question is do i need to add a little yeast at bottling or will i be fine to bottle carb as is? I'm thinking i should be OK as i have read most have not had issues, but i guess it cant hurt to ask.

thanks

Put it in after a few days cold crash then give it a few days to clear, then bottle. That is how I do it and I come up with clear beer.

There will be plenty of yeast left to carb well.

Have not done the gelatin in a while because on my latest batches I have been doing whirlpool hop additions and was getting anal about the gelatin possibly pulling the hop aroma out. Plenty of “yes it does/no it doesn’t” discussions on that in here … anyway.

When I did use gelatin, I would transfer into my corny keg and chill for a couple of days to let the haze develop. Stir in the gelatin and place the keg back in the ‘rator for its final resting spot with the CO2 hooked up for a low pressure charge. 10 – 14 days later a crystal clear beverage.

Back