Gravity reading help please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TattyGina

Reaction score
Hi, started my first proper mead having got 4 JAOMs on the go.

Used 8 1/2lbs honey for 2 1/2 gallons
added some Tronozymol - 4tsp (in UK and cannot find Fermaid K or Dap)
Used Lalvin D-47

Checked reading before adding yeast and am unsure how to read off figure?
Hopefully I have attached a pic of where meter was sitting in the mead. I really want a sweet mead so am I on the right lines?

M2.jpg

1.104 is pretty high to start but given how much your honey to water ratio is, your reading is pretty accurate.

The idea of a "sweet" mead isn't your starting gravity but rather paying attention to your final gravity. Me personally I have enjoyed plenty of sweeter meads with a final gravity of about 1.04 to 1.01 but much of that is based with other factors like additives or fruit or varying spices that I add to the recipes.

The D-47 is a weaker strain of yeast that will certainly finish on the sweeter side. The yeast strains strength will determine how much of the sugars from the honey will change over to alcohol during fermenting as well. Using a stronger strain like a 1116/1118 will result in a drier mead but more alcohol.

Latest posts

Back