Should one always use DME with extracts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Without exception, all the extract kits and recipes I've looked at use DME in some proportion. I'm floating the idea of putting together my own stout recipe, taking influence from here and there, and noticed it would actually be cheaper to use all liquid extract (Northern Brewer) as opposed to using any amount of DME. Is there anything imparted by DME that would be missing in an all liquid extract brew? Beyond the few dollar savings, I found DME somewhat irritating to use last time around (clumps, and takes forever to get un-clumped), and would just as soon avoid it if it's all the same.

There's no reason why you should use all DME (or all LME, for that matter). It is largely a matter of preference.

You'll need to use 20% more LME than DME to hit your OG. 1lb LME = .8lb DME

I've found LME to be way more of a hassle to use than DME. It's too damn sticky and messy.

My experiences from brewing with extracts was that DME stayed fresh longer, and, as stated above, was a lot less hassle to work with. I dislike LME, just because no matter how carefully I ever handled it, I ended up making a sticky, messy mess.

Try mixing up a small batch of starter wort with LME, and you'll see what I mean. Messville.

IMO, I prefer DME over LME for a few reasons. DME is lighter in color, it stores better, its easier to use. I've had better beers with DME but this could be because when I first started brewing I used LME for every batch and it was a few years before I made the switch. THere's nothing wrong with LME though really if it's fresh. I remember getting some lme once from my lhbs that had all these black bits floating it and I doubt they were flavor crystals.

As far as I know there is no reason. The only thing I can think of it is handy for tweaking recipes since most LME comes in predefined weights.

It's the same thing - just drier!

I prefer LME myself, but I buy it bulk fresh from my LHBS and I know they sell a lot of it. They are close by, so I always get just the amount I need for that batch - but I can see it being a real hassle if I had to measure it out while brewing.

Back