Didn't dissolve sugar before starting Kombucha brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanlion

Reaction score
I've heard if scoby is on the bottom it needs sugar or is done.

I've just started by first batch and added the sugar after the tea is cooled.

I'm using an existing scoby and a bottle of unflavored kombucha as starter.

Scoby is touching the bottom where the sugar is sitting as sediment.

I do see evidence of carbonation . . . any suggest, remove scoby heat and dissolve?

Any suggestions?

Ryan

Check if you see a thin layer of a new scoby forming on top of your tea, than you just need to be patient and let the tea do it's thing.

If no new baby scoby is forming on the surface:

Take the scoby out, stir the "tea-solution" until Sugar is dissolved, add a shot glass of apple cider vinegar, rinse scoby and don't touch with your fingers to put it back into the tea.

Make sure to have a non metallic sieve or colander to rinse the scoby.

Cover, put in a warm place and wait for ten days. A new scoby should grow on top of your kombucha.

You can then use the baby scoby for your next brew and discard the on that sank to the bottom.

If you heat the tea now, you will kill all the microbes from the starter tea that are in the liquid.

I would suggest just removing the scoby, giving it a good stir, replacing the scoby, and letting it ride. If it doesn't pan out, call it a learning experience and try again next week.

Sinking SCOBY, floating SCOBY, in my experience it doesn't really matter much. Sometimes if it sinks it's just getting too thick and needs to be "trimmed" (peel off some layers).

Thanks for the detailed response! That helps . .

Check if you see a thin layer of a new scoby forming on top of your tea, than you just need to be patient and let the tea do it's thing.

If no new baby scoby is forming on the surface:

Take the scoby out, stir the "tea-solution" until Sugar is dissolved, add a shot glass of apple cider vinegar, rinse scoby and don't touch with your fingers to put it back into the tea.

Make sure to have a non metallic sieve or colander to rinse the scoby.

Cover, put in a warm place and wait for ten days. A new scoby should grow on top of your kombucha.

You can then use the baby scoby for your next brew and discard the on that sank to the bottom.

I usually add the sugar while the tea is still hot because it dissolves so much easier then.
If you have trouble getting fermentation started it is most of the time a lack of sugar (rarely is the scoby not healthy/strong enough).

Apple Cider Vinegar or a shot of Liquor help "weaker scobys" (use a clear not strongly "flavoured" liquor) But usually vinegar does the trick.

Let us/me know how it came out, if you want.

Good Luck.

Back