Oude Kriek

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeropolis

Reaction score
First Lambic. Last Lambic.

I took a smell of the glass. First thought that came to mind was 'garbage dump'. I took a sip and that was the worst thing I have ever tasted. I felt like I needed a plate of fries for that vinegar. So disgusting!

Lambics are an acquired taste.

Don't give up so soon.

Try a Lindeman's Pomme. It tastes like a Jolly Rancher.

Then try a Rodenbach. Makes you want to eat a steak.

olllllo said:
Lambics are an acquired taste.

It could have been a bad bottle too, I had a bad bottle(probably stored too warm for too long) once and it was just pure vinegar - not the normal nice sour/funk. I say olllllo's advice is good, give sour beers another shot with a milder sourness and see if they grow on you.

Beeropolis said:
First Lambic. Last Lambic.

I took a smell of the glass. First thought that came to mind was 'garbage dump'. I took a sip and that was the worst thing I have ever tasted. I felt like I needed a plate of fries for that vinegar. So disgusting!

Vinegar on fries? Now THAT'S disgusting!!!!

If you want to be slowly introduced to the idea of lambics, try Ommegangs Three Philosophers. It's a blend of 97% Belgian Golden Ale and 3% cherry lambic. The cherry notes are subdued, and work extreamly well with the Belgian charicteristics of the Golden. It's by far my favorite from them, a lesson in balance well learned :)

mike

Originally posted by jezter6
is that the one with the white paper instead of a label?

De Ranke produces a Kriek with a white paper wrapper. You may also be thinking of Liefman's Kriek which is not a Lambic beer but a Flemish Brown with Cherries.

To the OP, I also agree with olllllo and landhoney. Seek out a Lindeman's, Belle-Vue or De Troch Chapeau. They tend to be much sweeter than many Lambics and a good way to ease into the style.

You can also seek out a commercially produced Faro if available in your area. A Faro is a blended Lambic with added candi sugar which makes it sweeter than a straight Gueuze.

I'm certainly sure it was not a brown, as it said it was a lambic mixed with a cherry brew.

Whatever it was, it sucked pretty bad, so if the OP happened to be referencing the same one, I can agree.

Sir Humpsalot said:
Vinegar on fries? Now THAT'S disgusting!!!!

Actually, it's really good :D.

Yeah another chime in for trying some different brands. You know, that's like judging a nutbrown by Newcastle or something and saying you don't like nutbrowns. Lambics are an intense flavor experience in their own right, so depending on how you approach it you could be in for a big surprise!

If you think putting vinegar on fries is gross, better stop using ketchup too because it's full of it (with a little tomatoe paste to thicken it up). I got turned on to pure malt vinegar on fries on a trip to Montreal a few years back. I'm pissed you can't get it at many restaurants around here.

Back