Weizenbock... burnt taste???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay

Reaction score
My Weizenbock has a strong burnt taste after you drink it. Does anyone know what might have caused that? I read Palmer's book on off tastes but this doesn't seem to be one of them in the book.

Thanks

Burnt tastes are almost always due to burning or carmelization. Was this an extract? When I do extract, I always shut the burner off while I'm stirring in the extract. I also stir the water a bit to cool the hot spots on the bottom. It's surprising how fast that stuff can toast.

Yes it was an extract. I shut the burner off and moved it to another burner on the stove per the instructions when I added the extract. Stirred it well and had a thermometer measuring the temp around 150-160 degrees. I thought that it might be the extract burning but I guess I am just surprised that it happened. Will the burnt taste mellow out at all during conditioning?

Does anyone know if the burnt taste will mellow out with time?

Thanks

Did you use any specialty grains?

Alot of flavors will mellow over time, but I'm not sure if this is true for the burned taste.

is it a burned taste as in "burnt sugar" (like a blackened marshmellow from over the campfire)? Or is it a burned taste as in "roasted coffee" or maybe "burned toast"?

-walker

Haven't had a burnt taste yet, but I do know smoked mellows, slowly but it mellows.

then it sounds like your extract probably scorched on the bottom of the kettle during the boil.

as david_42 said smoke flavor mellows out (the flavor from using smoked malts) but I don't know if the flavor of burnt malt extract will go away. It might... but I don't know.

-walker

Thanks for the input Walker!! It has been six days since I last tasted it, and I had to pop open another to confirm what type of burnt taste it was. I would say that is has mellowed out a little. I hope it will mellow out even more in time. Thanks again!!!!

yeah.. a Smoorzenbock!

(anyone reading who doesn't know what a 'smoore' is, it's a campfire thing with graham crackers, chocolate, and toasted marshmellows.)

-walker

Walker said:
yeah.. a Smoorzenbock!

(anyone reading who doesn't know what a 'smoore' is, it's a campfire thing with graham crackers, chocolate, and toasted marshmellows.)

-walker
I am suddenly compelled to create a beer worthy of that name :D

I'm already jotting down a recipe, man! :D

chocloate malt
molasses
honey
slightly scorched malt extract

-walker

Back