First Home Brew tomorrow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golphur

Reaction score
Really looking forward to my first brew! I plan to start tomorrow morning. I am doing a full boil extract into a 6 gallon glass primary.

I have supplies to create a blow off for the primary but I hear a lot of conflicting advice. What is the general preference on this board? Blow off? or go straight to regular airlock?

Thanks for any advice.

The blow off tube is security more than anything as most of the time one isn't needed. I had never needed one until one day I found beer from floor to ceiling! I recommend using one for the first few days then switch to an airlock if you so choose. This will hurt nothing.

I usually have to use a blowoff for my 6 gallon carboy...but I always end up with slightly more than 5 gal of brew...

My general rule of thumb "if you think you might need a blowoff, just use a damn blowoff" :)

Thanks a lot for the info. Funny, I just read the "highest krausen you've ever seen" thread and along with your comments, I'll be using the blow off. I have the supplies, might as well use them.

Thanks again for the help. These boards are a great resource. Looking forward to being able to contribute one day.

6 hours into fermenting my Belgian Wit and I already have krausen coming into the blow off tube from a 6 gallon primary.

Thanks again for all of the advice and info. So glad I did the blow off now!

Back