Earthquake in Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
My heartfelt prayers go out to the Good People of Japan at this moment. This Agnostic feels deeply for all the Peaceful Japanese People in trouble right now. May the Good Spirits protect you from harm.

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst has just begun. The breech of the containment dome is more serious than anything seen in the nuclear world since Chernobyl. The entire inventory of the core is now airborne in a fairly populated area. The isotopes being tracked right now are already the "heavier" ones. This is no"small" leak as being reported. They will need a great deal of prayer/thoughts/good vibes in addition to whatever material goods and services we can spare.

I hope all my American friends here don't share this same point of view that is going viral around the internet currently... :-( Its only takes a tiny amount of people to taint a lot.

The worst has just begun. The breech of the containment dome is more serious than anything seen in the nuclear world since Chernobyl. The entire inventory of the core is now airborne in a fairly populated area. The isotopes being tracked right now are already the "heavier" ones. This is no"small" leak as being reported. They will need a great deal of prayer/thoughts/good vibes in addition to whatever material goods and services we can spare.

what? the containment dome has been breached?

can you cite your source? everything i've read says its still in partial meltdown and the mark I containment is currently in tact, altho many experts have expressed their concerns about the mark I containment design

count_dookie said:
whats the hop schedule for an internet fight?

5 ounces stubborness for 60 minutes, 3 ounces "the Internet is serious and affects my daily life greatly" for 15 minutes, 1 oz oversensitivity at flameout

motobrewer said:
what? the containment dome has been breached?

can you cite your source? everything i've read says its still in partial meltdown and the mark I containment is currently in tact, altho many experts have expressed their concerns about the mark I containment design

Kyodo news network is reporting that reactor 2's containment vessel is damaged

I cannot believe how ignorant and stupid some people are.

This was my point, wasn't meant to offend anyone. In fact it was to show how this sort of stuff doesn't exist here on homebrewtalk and people like that in the page linked were the minority. Still it does exist and its frustrating and sad.

Its just sad when people use disasters etc to push their own agendas and unfortunately like or not when things like this go viral from ONE person compiling it they do more harm outdoing all the good by thousands here :(

Day by day its getting worse over there and with an invisible enemy lets hope they all know exactly whats going on and people can evac accordingly.

As usual, not sure how accurate; but this video is interesting to see the lull in activity, followed by the massive number of quakes, post the "big one"

Last edited by a moderator:
In these matters, I tend to "trust" BBC over any US news sources....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12732015

I would largely have to agree with this article. Almost everything seems pretty accurate compared to everything I've heard over the last couple of days, but they do seem to speculate some of the info over Chernobyl.

From what I understand, the containment building is damaged, but the containment vessel has yet to be breached, let alone the reactor vessel. The spent fuel cooling ponds are inside the containment building (which is damaged), the water is all gone for one reason or another, and the source of the elevated radiation levels is from the spent fuel. Tepco is stating that there is a greater than zero chance that the fuel could begin sustaining chain reactions, but that doesn't mean with any kind of certainty that it will. Just saying that there is a possibility, that's all. (Not that it makes the situation any better)

If anyone has seen any articles stating otherwise, please let me know. I'd be very curious to read anything as such.

Back