Hello from Kentucky!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caboose

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals!

I am a fairly new user. I have been doing a lot of reading as I readied myself to brew my first, but I believe this is my first post.

Found the site thanks for my dad who has been brewing for a few years. But when he moved to Maryland and took his home brewing with him I needed to start my own. (thankfully though he left me 2 carboys, so now I have 3...just means more beer for me!)

I have been planning to do so for a few months now and just couldn't find the time to start or the cash to buy a decent kit.

Friday while at work I got the most over powering urge to start one. Unfortunately, in Bowling Green (home of the Vette) where I live we have very little in the home brewing dept. I can buy some supplies from some stores, but very little.

LUCKILY for me I live just over an hour from Nashville, TN. Which has a couple different stores. One of which my dad used quite a bit. Goes by the name of All Seasons.

So my understanding wife and I drove down Saturday morning and I picked up a kit, a recipe kit and a few cases of bottles (Im a little OCD in the fact I want all my bottles to be the exact same...)

I went with the Dunkelweizen, which states it has a chocolaty/bready flavor.

Surprisingly the brewing process went well for my first time flying solo. I never really helped my dad with his batches, but I guess I took enough in to not completely ruin my own.

I also learned a very important lesson. Make sure your brew pot is large enough to hold it all! I almost had a huge mess on my hands when after adding my Mmalt extract, I was waiting for it to come to a boil to add my bitter hops. The wort decided it wanted to rise. Luckily my father-in-law was on his way over and he had a larger pot that he could bring me.

So it is now sitting in the primary and I am debating on starting a second batch this next weekend!

Sorry for the long story...I will try to post some pictures of my first go around!

photostream

photostream

photostream

photostream

photostream

And yes thats a bunny.

Yeah...originally I had planned on ordering a kit, but then Id have to wait. So it was worth the drive, plus we ended up spending the day there which we hadnt done in awhile.

I would have thought Bowling Green would have a good home brew shop. Here in O'boro, we have a single shop but it's kind of iffy as to what he has in stock. Good for emergencies but Austin Homebrew Supply gets most of my dollars.

We have a liquor store called Chucks, which carries a great line of craft beers. And have a few homebrew supplies. Not the greatest selection, but I can get a few things if I have to.

Back