When to add Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Currently, I've got a brew fermenting with a "regular" yeast. I am planning on adding a vial of Brett and some fruit at some point, but wasn't sure when to do this. Normally, I would let my yeast work for about 3 weeks before bottling. Should I let the regular yeast work for the same amount of time and then pitch the Brett/fruit in a few weeks or should I pitch the Brett/fruit sooner? It's been 5 days now and I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of the primary fermentation is done.

The Orval clone I've got bottled now spent 3 weeks in the primary on Belgian yeast and a month in the secondary on brett....turned out with a ton of brett characteristics even after just that month in the secondary.

There are a bunch of Brett pages on this site. I read: The Muse and it gave me some helpful info. That all being said, I did my primary with both Brett B and US-05. I tasted it about 1.5 months ago and you could taste the brett, horsey, some acidity.

I am planning to add 6lb of puree to the beer in the next couple of months so I will report back when I do. If I'm not mistaken, I think you want to let the brett work awhile before adding any fruit. I by no means am an expert on wild fermentation but I thought I'd at least try to shed some light on the matter.

Back