Major Dextrose Score!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
SWMBO has her friends up this weekend. One of her friends works at a place that makes pharmicutical grade sugars. They have old sugar that was being disposed of for whatever reason.

I got 50lbs of Corn Sugar!!!! 800 oz is enough for 160 5-gallon batches.

:ban:

Schlenkerla said:
SWMBO has her friends up this weekend. One of her friends works at a place that makes pharmicutical grade sugars. They have old sugar that was being disposed of for whatever reason.

Sweet! That's enough for 25 batches of Apfelwein too!

Do they have any more?

chillHayze said:
Hopefully they didnt store it next to the stool samples! ;)

lol j/k nice score!

Her friend told me after 2 years of sitting on the shelf they dispose of the sugar.

She said they filled two dumpsters with corn sugar!!!

The stuff is packaged in two 25lb drums, inside each drum is two plastic bags with 12.5lbs each.

Two drums were rescued for my sake. :D

It would be nice if the pharmicutical biz used malt extract...

Schlenkerla said:
Her friend told me after 2 years of sitting on the shelf they dispose of the sugar.

She said they filled two dumpsters with corn sugar!!!

The stuff is packaged in two 25lb drums, inside each drum is two plastic bags with 12.5lbs each.

Two drums were rescued for my sake. :D

It would be nice if the pharmicutical biz used malt extract...
Too bad it wasn't stored next to the coke...;) ...not that I condone such actions...:mad:

homebrewer_99 said:
Too bad it wasn't stored next to the coke...;) ...not that I condone such actions...:mad:

Can you imagine carbing with it.... (4 weeks later)

.... Damn this stuff is flat, it also has no taste or mouth feel...

...in fact I can't even feel my mouth.....(thud!!) :cross:

Schlenkerla said:

What? More like enough for five really strong batches of hooch.

Torchiest said:
What? More like enough for five really strong batches of hooch.

Yeah! Take all that sugar, boil it till dissolved, add in a can of budweiser for yeast and certified beer flavor, and then add in some of those chewy fruit candies to make it a lambic. Then throw in a little bit of brewer's yeast. Ferment it all in a 55 gallon drum out on your back porch when your parents are out of town....

Toot said:
Yeah! Take all that sugar, boil it till dissolved, add in a can of budweiser for yeast and certified beer flavor, and then add in some of those chewy fruit candies to make it a lambic. Then throw in a little bit of brewer's yeast. Ferment it all in a 55 gallon drum out on your back porch when your parents are out of town....

I see an EAC comment coming....

Nobody I know has a still. If they do they usually keep it hush.

You're right it will be good for carbing and for making Ed's Apfelwein.

Damn thats a lot of sugar enjoy! :fro:
sugar.jpg

You can't beat FREE! It pays to know people. I can imagine the look on your face when you found out that you just inherited 50 lbs of sweet stuff. That's funny... I'll give that a 4 on the rock on scale.:rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

I was offered lactose but declined on that. I would have to make a whole bunch of Cheese's Vanilla Carmel Cream. I suppose having some might be handy. hmm... Might ask about the sizes...

How many of you use lactose?

I've used maybe four, maybe eight ounces total, ever. A sweet stout, that was it. You could use it to sweeten a cider, perhaps, but I can't imagine going through even a couple pounds in a year.

Hell, I'm wondering what your plans are for the corn sugar... :confused:

the_bird said:
I've used maybe four, maybe eight ounces total, ever. A sweet stout, that was it. You could use it to sweeten a cider, perhaps, but I can't imagine going through even a couple pounds in a year.

Hell, I'm wondering what your plans are for the corn sugar... :confused:

I will use most of it for bottle carbing and some cider recipes. I never thought I would get that much. SWMBO's friend asked if I used corn sugar for beer. I said yes, so she picked some up.

When she arrived Friday I asked if she needed help unpacking the car. She said no, but your sugar is in the trunk. I popped the trunk, there was two good sized drums inside!!

If I was to get lactose I would most likely split it w/ somebody or several others.

Latest posts

Back