Ommegang Hennepin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezknight

Reaction score
I just picked up a holiday 3-pack of Ommegang and it included the Hennepin. I'm saving these for "special" occasions, so I don't want to chill them yet. I noticed the Hennepin has a lighter brown bottle, is this okay to just leave out, or should I keep it in a darker place?

I also don't think the bottle is actually lighter (I drink these a lot), it is a lighter beer srm wise. So it may just appeal lighter. What other beers are included in the pack?

BTW I just brewed up a clone of this I worked out and it taste just like it! So if you really like it you should give it a try.

I also don't think the bottle is actually lighter (I drink these a lot), it is a lighter beer srm wise. So it may just appeal lighter. What other beers are included in the pack?

BTW I just brewed up a clone of this I worked out and it taste just like it! So if you really like it you should give it a try.

Whats that recipe? I love Hennepin. :drunk:

It came with Three Philosophers, Hennepin, and Chocolate Indulgence Stout. But even up in the headspace the bottle seems a bit lighter. I'll move them anyway.

That pack rocks. The Chocolate Indulgence is okay, but the other two are outstanding. I found a 2007 bottle of Three Philosophers from a holiday pack the other day. It still tasted great.

Original very close to actual recipe they use:
http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=9242

What I ended up able to get ahold of, technically equivalent and taste exactly the same as the store bought:
http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=9293

The Hennepin may be in a lighter bottle, I have never noticed I guess. Anyway a good idea to store anything out of the light anyway as stated before.

Maybe it's just me, but those recipes are missing critical information necessary for duplicating consistent results. For example:

Mash temp(s) and times
Boil time
When is the sugar added?
When are the spices added?
Fermentation temp(s)
Fermentation time(s)

I mean, I can make some educated guesses for some of those, but really..are all the beer tools recipes like that?

Sorry I am new to making recipes and those part you mentions were kinda done on the fly. Beer Tools does kinda limit the actual information you can add, I will however update them at some point.

For now I can answer you questions here.

Mash temps(s): I did a decoction mash because Ommegang does step mashing and I did not have the ability to do true step mash. I started at 122 decocted to 146 then one more decoction to 158, then to the boil pot.

Boil Time was 90 Min.

Spices and sugar was added with 15 min left.

Fermentation temp was in a basement ~55-60 degrees ambient temp, I do not know the temp of the beer itself during fermentation.

It took two weeks for the krausen to fall and I left it in primary for ~2.5 weeks after which I did put into a secondary to reduce head space and to rack it off of the whole hops that made it into the fermenting carboy.

I let it stay in secondary for I think 2.5 weeks or so just because of time. When I had a chance I threw it in my keg and let it carbonate over another 2 weeks. I did start drinking it during those 2 weeks at times, but the carbonation really seemed to settle in around the 2 week mark. The longer time was probably due to me putting it at 2.8 volumes as the brewmaster for Ommegang recommends.

I hope this helps!

BTW that is an awesome sample pack, I really like the Chocolate Indulgence, but I really like Chocolate beers. Three Phils is a very good beer you may need to share? very strong and lot 'O flavor. I obviously like Hennepin if I brewed it.

Well I've drank 2 of 3 so far.

The Three Philosophers I drank during a snowstorm we had right before Christmas. It was the perfect warm-up for a snowy night.

I took the Chocolate Indulgence to my family's Christmas Eve celebration. It was good, but not spectacular.

That leaves the Hennepin, which I think may be in order to ring in the New Year.

And I've used the Ommegang glass that came with the set for every sip!

I've had the 3 Phils and the Abbey Ale so far and found nothing notable from them to separate them from the lot. Still have a Hennepin to try.

So far, the only Ommegang offering that has wowed me was the Rar Vos (Sly Fox). that shyt was guud.

Latest posts

Back