Swing top Growler issues...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbrew33

Reaction score
I searched and didn't find the answer I was looking for. I purchased a swing top growler from my local brew shop. Nice heavy bottle with a stout clip.

I filled it just as I filled all my other bottles (ranging from 12 oz to 22 oz). I had perfect carbonation in all the bottles I had tried previously, a combo of capped and swing top bottle but my growler didn't carb..... at all..... Nada. Do you need to fill a bottle that big a certain way? Could it just be a bad seal?

Any advice or similar stories would be appreciated. Thanks!

Growlers aren't made for carbonating in, just for short term storage of already carbonated beer. The CO2 probably leaked out, which is a good thing since others have had growler "bombs". There are pressure rated growlers but I don't think you have one.
Remember the pressure at carbonating temp is much higher that when its in the fridge.

Growlers aren't made for carbonating in, just for short term storage of already carbonated beer. The CO2 probably leaked out, which is a good thing since others have had growler "bombs". There are pressure rated growlers but I don't think you have one.
Remember the pressure at carbonating temp is much higher that when its in the fridge.

I purchased the growler at a brewing supply shop. It is similar to this 2 Liter Growler with Metal Handle- Amber :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I was told I could bottle condition in it no problem.

It could certainly be a bad seal, I get one from time to time with swing tops. Also remember that it will likely take a fair amount longer to naturally carbonate the bigger bottle than it will in the smaller ones.

It could certainly be a bad seal, I get one from time to time with swing tops. Also remember that it will likely take a fair amount longer to naturally carbonate the bigger bottle than it will in the smaller ones.

Yeah, I let it bottle condition for about 4 weeks. Is this type of bottle acceptable for bottle conditioning??? Thanks for the help.

I use swing top growlers all the time when I bottle and never had a problem. Did you prime using a bottling bucket or did you prime the bottles by themself. If you primed with a bucket and every other bottle turned out alright, I would assume it was a seal issue. Was the beer spoiled at all or was it fine just not carbed?

I use swing top growlers all the time when I bottle and never had a problem. Did you prime using a bottling bucket or did you prime the bottles by themself. If you primed with a bucket and every other bottle turned out alright, I would assume it was a seal issue. Was the beer spoiled at all or was it fine just not carbed?

I primed in a bucket. The beer tasted fine but had no carb. There was a small ring of gunk inside near the top of the bottle which I had not seen before in any of my other beers.

What's strange is all the other beers have perfect carbonation. Thanks for all the responses!

no idea what happend. normally when i first open my growlers they pop with some force and have good carb the day after i first open it, if i dont drink the whole thing in one night. The ring around the top to me just sounds like it would be yeast. i had one growler that i have no idea what happend with it; it had too much carb and had a layer of yeast stuck to the bottom of the cap.

I want to throw a sales pitch for kegkits.com . I bought two of these growlers from them, and one showed up broken. Tom, the proprietor, got back to me very fast and had no issues sending me a replacement. The price was about the same as I've seen everywhere else ($30ish), and their customer service was fantastic.

I've got a few swing top growlers like this, anyone know if I'll have luck carbonating in them?

2LiterBottle.jpg

Thanks

Welcome to the threads! It look like it should be ok (IE it looks pretty thick). I still don't like bottling/carbing in growlers myself (search for growler bomb), but many others have had good success. Just make sure your priming sugar levels are right, and you have a good seal. :tank:!

Thanks for the welcome, this forum is great! Thanks for the rec; I'll give it a try and let you all know how it goes. I've got a pale ale that I'm ready to bottle.

Back